• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tach cluster from ranger into B2?

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Howdy everybody. Yesterday at the junkyard I found a tach style cluster in a 80s ranger I am guessing 87 or so but not sure I know it is a first gen 2.9L Fuel injected though. What I was wondering is if I could take the tach style cluster from it and just direct swap it into my 84 B2 2.8L carbed truck? I don't want to do any wiring or anything. If I can I want to go pick it up.

I know I did this with my 88 F150 and it worked but not sure on ranger based vehicles
Trav

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Not sure but I kind of doubt it would work, lots of changes between 84 and 87 so your truck may not have the wiring for a tach, or the new one might not have the alt,oil,temp gauges so the sending units might be differant, but again... Im not sure.

I added a small 2" tach on the top of the the steering column tilted slightly to the right so I can still see the indicator lights in the center of the dash.

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
the one their has all those and so does ours. I didn't really want to deal with wiring.
Trav

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
If its cheap try it, I would expect the plugs will probably fit but your truck might not have the tach wiring installed, if it doesnt work out its still good for parts if you ever need them.

If all you need is the wiring for the tach thats very simple for either an oem or aftermarket unit.

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
well my current gauge cluster is bad so I need to get one just not sure what to get it out of.
Trav

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Your original one might just need a good cleaning, when I first got my B2 there was a few things that didnt work in the cluster so I tore it apart and cleaned it up, everything except the fuel gauge works now and I suspect thats a problem with the sending unit.

They are pretty easy to remove and work on, although the speedo cable always gives me a little trouble just because there isnt much room to get a hand in there and pull it off. The other one you found might work as is or at least have some parts you can use. Either way a good cleaning is in order just because they are all 30 yrs old.

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I will try it but I doubt it.
As of right now my speedometer doesn't work at all (speedometer cable is good, little gear in t-case is good) the oil pressure reads high and the water temp reads high all the time when the truck is running. The battery gauge stays in the middle no matter what and I know sometimes that is wrong because of the fact the stupid battery keeps getting low (or something because while driving the headlights dim when off the gas but when on it brightens up). The fuel gauge is the only thing that does work on entire cluster. I have no engine lights or anything like that coming on and I know their should be because of how the truck is running (I pulled the codes on it).
I may go and get the regular style one from the ranger/B2 that was their I just thought changing it up some would be nice.
Trav

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Just a guess but... with so many issues I would suspect one of the main connectors is badly corroded, either the one on the back of the dash or, more likely, the one on the firewall. Sound very much like mine when I got it and it was parked for nearly 10 yrs at the time.

Speedo itself is pretty simple and easy to clean, mine worked but only about half of actual speed, been fine for about 5 yrs since I cleaned it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am not 100% sure, but I suspect that a 2.8 cluster will plug in and the gauges will work. The tach may not work correctly with the earlier computer, and the info center lights will be obstructed if you use a 2.9 cluster without swapping the facia from the later dash though.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I think he is hoping to just put the whole cluster and fascia from the 2.9 into his 2.8 truck... but doesnt know what differances there might be in the wiring, I would expect them to be very similar but not sure on that.

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok I will take all this into consideration. Just trying to get the thing to work really.
Again I don't want to do wiring to the truck.
Trav

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals