• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mustang 2 front suspension swap

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hello guys I have a question. I only BARLEY heard about this swap and I think it would he a GREAT alternative for the ranger BUMPY ride and I think it would handle like mustang looking truck.

does anybody have any experience with this swap?
I heard there's a company that sells custom crewmembers sizes and you just buy control arms coil overs or stock shocks.

again thanks in advance this would also be helpful for anybody else looking for a similar mod to an aging truck and bring a modern twist to it
not looking to slam I just want better handling and ride quality

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tons of aftermarket companies offer versions of MII front clips. None of them are designed to work directly with a Ranger that I'm aware of, so you'll be welding and fabbing some stuff to make it work.

AJE suspension offers newer mustang front clips designed for I-Beam Rangers here: http://ajesuspension.com/83-97-Ranger-and-53-72-Ford-F-100--c15

They replace the I-beams and radius arms with a strut instead of the SLA style MII setup. They reduce weight in the front end, but they also drop the truck 5 inches. In addition to what's included in the AJE kit, you'll need a rack and pinion, spindles, and brakes.

Any of these types of clip swaps will cost thousands of dollars, and at that point, you could probably just buy a newer Ranger that came with a nicer SLA suspension for the same money. If you're racing the truck, then the upgrades that these clips provide might be worth the cost, but for an otherwise stock truck, I don't see how it makes sense to do that work and spend that much money.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just buy better shocks.

I have an 87, with 31s, and it rides very very smooth.

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yea my shocks at SHOT I heard those nitro ones are pretty good.

Reason for the swap is I just like how this little truck looks and I think it would be super sick if it handled like a mustang. I want be racing often but it would be nice to take corners at speed :) not looking for the fastest or anything just a smoother ride and handling.

also I have a buddy who's a welder he could help me tons to install it.
also I think the resale value would be great with that mod and a 4 link in the rear.

you guys a super helpful btw I love this forum.

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yea I can't fit 31's my truck is dropped the small tire don't help either but looks dope to me it's on 17" new edge wheels

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
http://www.welderseries.com

this is the website that sells the m2 crewmembers to any size. I think all I need is to get spindles brakes control arms and coil overs. craigslist is a GREAT start for coming up on the LOW. I don't think it should come out more than $1000 in total for all parts.

as for the rear 4 link I have seen the eBay ones, the look good and strong but having seen reviews. anyways you guys a great.

we need a 4 link sticky asap

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's pretty cool. I still think you'll have to pull off some serious wizardry to get spindles, brakes, coilovers and control arms for $750, but I'm willing to be proven wrong. Mustang II stuff just isn't as common now as it was 10 or 15 years ago.

Now that I know you've got a lowered and modified truck as a starting point, Im more on board with the clip swap. We do things on project trucks that don't always make financial sense.

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yea I just think think life's too short to drive boring cars.

I just think it cool have something that not a lot of people have. everybody gives looks here and there . my goals for 2017 are finish my sound system and put 5.0 just to go to show bump and burn out. don't gotta look pretty ??

quick question what about the Lincoln mark 8 rear irs? I currently have the 8.8 and it's 3" longer, I've read the Lincoln assembly is 3 more inches. I don't think it would be problem because they sell those bushwacker fender flares. that with some 15x10 bf goodrich radial like the 90's trucks ?

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the link bro it was very helpful. so there's a company that makes the brackets to weld on a tbird or mark 8 assembly. I read through his website and it says he tried it on a 95 and it should work. the website is called truckirs.com

the brackets cost 340 and the dif from pick your part half off day sales should be around 200 with everything. this project takes less than a 1000$. good thing I have a welder buddy haha 2017 gonna be GREAT!!

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hopefully you read the part of that link that mentions the T-Bird IRS has a different wheel bolt pattern than the Ranger or Mustang. You won't be able to bolt your current mustang wheels onto it without running adapters (and increasing the width), or swapping the hubs to ones from the Cobra IRS, which did have the same bolt pattern. It's not a really big deal, but it's something that you need to know and plan for before you get into it.

Also, if you're planning a 5.0 swap, and want wide rear tires, you'll need to do some very careful measuring, and probably change the bedsides a bit to fit wide wheels. Using the kit from truckirs.com means you'll have to run wheels with much offset. The brackets and the IRS take up a lot of real estate in the inside of the wheel wells.

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think those steelies come in both wheel pattern so that could help me without buying spindles

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dual pattern wheels are one way to get around it but it limits your wheel choices and you won't have very many brake options.

Switching to Cobra hubs is a common upgrade for the Tbird/ MarkVIII MN12 IRS, and would solve both of those problems for you.

Last edited:

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the tip on the cobra hubs bro sounds like a EASY swap

I hoping to get this done in a couple months I'm going to use air bags because I have a kinda big sound system and I don't want it to be hanging low.

I'll keep you guys updated. as for now I'm still saving for a explorer v8 to do the swap then suspension. my 2.3 is giving out and I don't wanna put money into this engine haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals