• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Holy Crap, Pickup Trucks Have Gotten Expensive

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
New cars and trucks are THE WORST value, and BIGGEST WASTE of your hard earned money out there!!! I've bought 4 new vehicles in my life; the last one being an 05' Chevy Colorado. **Stupid Mistake** I can turn a wrench; in fact I enjoy it, and it saves me more money than I can even count. Consider: 4-6 years car payments, required collision insurance, depreciation the second you drive it off the lot and by the time you're done paying for it... well, you just have a used vehicle anyway. If you have money to burn, by all means indulge, but I'll NEVER buy another new vehicle again... Period. (Unless I strike it rich) lol I'd still keep my classic "clunkers". Just love em' that much.
Somebody has to buy new ones so they can filter down to those of us that buy used ones though.

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
Somebody has to buy new ones so they can filter down to those of us that buy used ones though.
True, but personally, I'm done with new vehicles. I watch new car ads with a completely new perspective these days. Current ad = something I may purchase for cash 10 or 15 years from now, or maybe even at half price 2-5 years from now. I recall a new ford F150 costing just a hair over $11,000 in the 80's. Even considering inflation/cost of living/earnings differences over the last 30 years; new vehicles cost way too much. I could earn nearly as much in the 80's as I can today and my money went WAY further back then.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The '150 I built for a shy $40k was a pretty swanky XL... comparable to my '02 XLT actually.

Just for giggles I built a Super Duty. A 350 cost less than grand more than a 250 so I went with it to get the cool roof lights without drilling holes. Dad's '80 had them and I always thought they were neat. Same XL with the appearance package (just a chrome bumper, I don't like the chrome accented grille) with a factory installed gooseneck hitch it cost the same as the '150, just under $40k.

Manual 4x4, manual/auto lockouts, solid front axle, floater rear axle, gooseneck hitch, chrome 17's, 3.73's, 6.2 V8, integrated brake controller, two cup holders with the split bench...

Don't really need a 3/4 or 1 ton but to get 4x the truck for the same price that gets roughly the same mileage as my '02 '150 puts a different spin on things. And then the afore mentioned options that get my attention that the space age '150 does not offer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals