• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2015 Ford Bronco

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know the Global ranger is still in production, When that pic was taken that truck was roughly 8 months old!!!
I could easily go to Germany, use a local address of several different Brothers and purchase a new global ranger. But then I have to pay to ship it over. And it has to go to Jersey to the only place authorized to convert Euro spec vehicles to substandard U.S. standards!!! Who knows what they would ruin. Euro spec vehicles so far supercede American it's not even funny!! But for some reason the U.S. has this misconception that our standards for vehicles are better. NOT HARDLY!!! I've also spent some time working in German Motorcycle shop, so I have 1st hand knowledge of the differences. If the Germans only built a pickup truck!!!!
Yeah aside from the US having stricter emissions and better crash testing the European stuff is better. :rolleyes:

Working in a tractor shop I have had the opposite experiance with forgein vs domestic built. Cheap (and yet at the same time expensive :icon_confused:) and cheesy seems to be the rule when they put tractors together over yonder. I am saying built not labeled because nobody builds compact utility tractors in the US anymore. German, Korea, Japan, England... they all march to a very odd drum.

They do screw up a lot, but I also heard you can get it into the country without their hands getting on it if its not considered an operational vehicle, say by, pulling the motor and shipping them separately?
That might work if you just wanted to drive it around in your yard. If you wanted to get a title for it... that is where you would have problems.

If you have the motor pulled, just take it and forget the rest of it. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could easily go to Germany, use a local address of several different Brothers and purchase a new global ranger. But then I have to pay to ship it over. And it has to go to Jersey to the only place authorized to convert Euro spec vehicles to substandard U.S. standards!!! Who knows what they would ruin. Euro spec vehicles so far supercede American it's not even funny!! But for QUOTE]
Just can't do it like you say, what every you import still has to meet the stricter crash and EPA standards. Doesn't matter if the imports are a better car or not. As far as Jersey being the only place for conversion, there are 16 of them. I know Ford converts their imports (Transit?) from a car to the truck in Jersey but that's mainly to avoid the 25% import tax on trucks and only 2.5% on cars.
Even motors and parts have to meet the standards just to get thru customs. If it was easy, sure we'd all be seeing at least one or two. There was a true four door Ranger on E-Bay for sale in Florida awhile back that did have a valid title, don't know how.
Dave - Links are current as of 2013
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

Importing parts
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/218

Manufacturer's letter/certificate, stating that the vehicle conforms to EPA and DOT standards. Vehicle parts must also be conformed to U.S. Standards depending on the part being imported. (For example: Engine must meet EPA and a Fender must meet DOT standards)

-Completed EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7. Vehicle parts will depend on the part being imported to the U.S.

Note: If the vehicle has stickers on the engine (EPA) and inside the drivers-side door (DOT) stating that the car was manufactured to U.S. standards, you will not need a manufacturers letter. Some vehicles are listed by make, model, and year on the DOT and EPA web sites as conforming. If your vehicle is one of those, that would also negate the need for a manufacturer's letter.

Jay'94

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could easily go to Germany, use a local address of several different Brothers and purchase a new global ranger. But then I have to pay to ship it over. And it has to go to Jersey to the only place authorized to convert Euro spec vehicles to substandard U.S. standards!!! Who knows what they would ruin. Euro spec vehicles so far supercede American it's not even funny!! But for QUOTE]
Just can't do it like you say, what every you import still has to meet the stricter crash and EPA standards. Doesn't matter if the imports are a better car or not. As far as Jersey being the only place for conversion, there are 16 of them. I know Ford converts their imports (Transit?) from a car to the truck in Jersey but that's mainly to avoid the 25% import tax on trucks and only 2.5% on cars.
Even motors and parts have to meet the standards just to get thru customs. If it was easy, sure we'd all be seeing at least one or two. There was a true four door Ranger on E-Bay for sale in Florida awhile back that did have a valid title, don't know how.
Dave - Links are current as of 2013
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

Importing parts
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/218

Manufacturer's letter/certificate, stating that the vehicle conforms to EPA and DOT standards. Vehicle parts must also be conformed to U.S. Standards depending on the part being imported. (For example: Engine must meet EPA and a Fender must meet DOT standards)

-Completed EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7. Vehicle parts will depend on the part being imported to the U.S.

Note: If the vehicle has stickers on the engine (EPA) and inside the drivers-side door (DOT) stating that the car was manufactured to U.S. standards, you will not need a manufacturers letter. Some vehicles are listed by make, model, and year on the DOT and EPA web sites as conforming. If your vehicle is one of those, that would also negate the need for a manufacturer's letter.
I've imported foreign vehicles from Germany before, DEFINITELY wouldn't be my 1st rodeo. Just that anything dealing with the U.S. government is just that, a rodeo. Importing to Germany is easier than vice versa, even with German TUV. U.S. crash standards are NOT superior to German, they're just different. A U.S. spec vehicle is designed to crush around the occupants protecting them. If a German spec car did that in an autobahn crash with the speeds involved, occupants would be crushed to death like in a car crusher. German spec cars are designed to come apart in a crash, except for the frame, seat occupant. I have personally arrived on the scene of autobahn crashes to observe American Service Members literally crushed in their own vehicle with NO chance for extrication! While the German party simply went to the krankenhaus for minor injuries. The German's car however was strewn everywhere. Leaving a sub framing, somewhat of an occupant compartment, a seat and the occupant.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals