• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seafoam!!!!

Hunter_Dude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
Alright so i bought a can of seafoam. But where should i really put it. I dont think my ranger will handle all the junk it will throw out. One of my lifters is ticking and I've heard this might fix it. Please correct me

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Use Lucas oil treatment in the oil.

Seafoam is good in the fuel tank to clean injector tips.

Just before changing the oil, add a 1/2 quart of ATF(trans fluid), run engine a couple of days then change the oil.

ATF is a high detergent oil.

Lucas oil treatment helps soften the rubber seals, i.e. valve guide seals and front and rear main seals.
It can also unstick lifters if clogged, so can ATF, if lifter spring is broken then it will need to be replaced

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
add a 1/2 quart of ATF(trans fluid), run engine a couple of days then change the oil.

ATF is a high detergent oil.
Any particular type of ATF? Are they all the same in that sense?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Use the red kind.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Brilliance.
I would like to point out that CVT (a type of automatic transmission) fluid is green, and the fluid for the Ford DSP6 (admittedly more like a manual trans on the inside, but still classed as an auto) is yellow, like gear oil or engine oil. Neither posses the added detergents or cleaning capacity of traditional red ATF.

But beyond that, no, it does not matter what type or brand. A Dex/Merc is probably the most widely available.

Hunter_Dude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks used i used the seafoam

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would like to point out that CVT (a type of automatic transmission) fluid is green, and the fluid for the Ford DSP6 (admittedly more like a manual trans on the inside, but still classed as an auto) is yellow, like gear oil or engine oil. Neither posses the added detergents or cleaning capacity of traditional red ATF.

But beyond that, no, it does not matter what type or brand. A Dex/Merc is probably the most widely available.

That's pretty cool info, I didn't know you could do that. Although, I think GM has a new blue transmission fluid out too.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Koolaid available in all flavors.

Huh. Never thought about the ATF trick.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's pretty cool info, I didn't know you could do that. Although, I think GM has a new blue transmission fluid out too.
Yes, I do believe GM has one or two that have a bluish color to them now as well. Some of the high-number full synthetics.

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
Proper and most expedient use of seafoam

1. Have a 2nd person for assistance (they will be in the vehicle w/ foot on gas pedal to keep engine running)
2. Pull the brake booster vacuum line off
3. Start vehicle
4. Slowly pour seafoam into the vacuum line, it will suck it right in and cause the engine to bog down [not too much too fast, remember it's replacing fuel and oxygen in the cylinders] (your partner will gently give the vehicle gas to keep the engine running [keep RPM's around 2-3K])
5. Keep pouring at a decent pace into the vacuum line until a large cloud of white smoke starts pouring out of the exhaust pipe (try not to use more than 1/2 the bottle)
6. Partner will shut vehicle off with key
7. Replace brake booster vacuum line
8. Dump remaining bottle of seafoam into the gas tank
9. Wait approx an hour for the seafoam to soften all the carbon and goo in the engine
10. Take the vehicle out of the road for at least 10 miles, drive the snot out of it so it blows the loosened carbon and junk out of the tail pipe (vehicle may smoke like a busted stove for a few miles)

Enjoy! :yahoo:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Use the red kind.
LMFAO this got me laughing hard enough I was still giggling when I hit for page 2 of this thread!!!!!

for the record I don't advise ATF in the oil, it's pretty strong, though I have heard seafoam in the oil (BEFORE an oil change) is a good idea.

either way, I would never recommend adding anything to the oil for more than a day of driving, and even 1 day is pushing it IMO.

some people who have commented in this thread's opinion i trust, others i never have, i won't name names, but ATF is pretty abrasive at the end of the day.

also, if you're going to do the seafoam 2 part treatment (intake/gas tank) IMSHO (seriously honest opinion) buy 2 cans, pour an entire can in your tank at the beginning, and for your second can, buy an aerosol can which comes with a straw specifically designed to put on the throttle body, which will clean that too, use about half a can of that.

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
Good call...truthfully you can never put too much in and blowing it thru the throttle body would definitely help clean things up nicely as well

Thanks!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Drain a quart of oil and pour a quart of atf in and run it for around 100 miles just before your next scheduled oil change. Dont run it hard keep it at medium speeds with the atf in there. Then just do the normal oil change and replace the PCV valve. After a few complete warmups change the oil filter again and top it off. I did the atf treatment with a fresh oil change and the oil was black within a week so I know it works on a old tired motor. A quart of lucas oil stabilizer will quiet noisy lifters in most cases but you may need to pull the valve covers and adjust the rockers?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals