• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto to Manual Swap

GotBronco-itus?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Currently swapping in 302 V8
Transmission
Manual
So I am doing a 4.0 OHV swap from a 91 Ranger into my 87 bronco II. I got the transmission with the 4.0 and it is manual wich is what I want. I know there are some threads on here but I havent done much work like this and have become confused on what I need to do and what parts I need to get exactly.
:icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You need: Engine, trans, every bit of wire from the donor, the computer, fuel, clutch pedal assy.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need the whole vehicle the engine came out of. And the wiring diagrams from helminc.com. With those, the swap is possible. With a hell of a lot of want-to, it's a sure thing.

GotBronco-itus?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have all that except the clutch pedal assembly. How do I set up the clutch pedal assembly?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I did my M5OD Swap from a 92 Exp to my 97 BII, I had to use the clutch petal and hydrolic assembly from my old 85 BII because the EXP setup did not quite fit right. The pushrod wanted to bind up, because the mounting holes for the master cylinder didn't quite match up.

I did not use the whole petal assembly, bracket and all. By puling a retainer ring on the end of the pivot shaft, you can slide it out and remove the individual pedals. Be careful of the small thin washers, and spacers in between parts. I mixed and matched to get the exact setup I wanted.

Also, the pushrod lengths between the 85 BII, 87 BII and 92 EXP were all different lengths, but still swapable. I had to modify one of them (shorten alittle) to get one that allowed the pedal to rest even with the brake and gas pedals. They are held in place by a small spring retainer clip inside the Master cylinder bore and with a little tenacity will pop out. I used bent needlenose plyers to grip/pry/pull mine out.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn't know the pedal sets were different between generations. I went from a '91 Ranger to an '89 B2 and it was an exact fit.

GotBronco-itus?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the info guys! Ill give an update once I get the stuff for the clutch assembly.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn't know the pedal sets were different between generations. I went from a '91 Ranger to an '89 B2 and it was an exact fit.
I was originally planning to use the pedal assembly from the 92 Exp into the 87 BII. This gets confusing but I believe the brake pedals were different and caused contact issues, and I ended up pulling pedals from the 85 BII to make it work. I remember specifically there were two pedals that contacted each other. It seems like the clutch pedals were a little different as well. I think the main problem was the brake pedal from the 87 BII which was automatic, was wider than the brake pedal from the 85 BII, which was standard. And I don't recall why I didn't use the Exp brake pedal. I know it didn't work for some reason.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
im planning this when my auto dies in my ranger. from the noise its making, it may not be too far off... lol let us know how it goes.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same dash and holes. Same w a 1st gen ex. Gen 3 Rangers too cause they share the gen 2 dash.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was originally planning to use the pedal assembly from the 92 Exp into the 87 BII. This gets confusing but I believe the brake pedals were different and caused contact issues, and I ended up pulling pedals from the 85 BII to make it work. I remember specifically there were two pedals that contacted each other. It seems like the clutch pedals were a little different as well. I think the main problem was the brake pedal from the 87 BII which was automatic, was wider than the brake pedal from the 85 BII, which was standard. And I don't recall why I didn't use the Exp brake pedal. I know it didn't work for some reason.
I'm swapping my B2 body for an '83 Ranger cab right now. I'm using a C5 auto, but maybe I'll look at the pedals from the '89 and try to figure out why they don't work. I want to use the cruise control and tilt steering from the '89 anyway, so I'll have that apart. Seems like Ford likes to change things for the sake of having them different. I know you can swap the whole dash out, but I like the '83 dash better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals