• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'10 Ranger v8 Swap HELP, Where do i get parts!!

juniorteck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everybody I'm new here! I've done a few v8 S-10 swaps in 2 and 4wd models but this is my first Ranger.
I bought a brand new '10 2wd 4cyl automatic Ranger yesterday just to swap in a 302. I have a fresh 302, carb not EFI that I want to drop in.
I have searched all over the forums and have issues finding a real decent COMPLETE guide to the swap and where to get the parts!
This IS a coil spring truck, and has A/C which I want to keep. Can someone help me please?
Here are some starter questions:
1. Where do I get headers that aren't $700 like Torque Monsters?
2. Who makes the motor mounts? Are they the same as the old style ranger since this is a SLA Coil truck?
3. Will the A/c bolt up and/or the heater box clear the motor?????
4. Trans - will the 5spd auto bolt up to a 5.0 and then how do we make it shift since it uses a TCM/PCM of some form? (or will it fit a 4.6 and I swap in that?)
5. Radiator? What fits best and lines up?
6. Wiring guide anyone! I am great at electronics but i'm sure the Rangers have some quirks right

THANK YOU EVERYONE! I can't wait to yank that 4 banger!

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Find an EVTM for your model to figure out the wiring.

You'll need to make mounts (plates) coming off of the stock mounts to the block.

You will clear the heater box easily, but I'd recommend an Explorer 90deg elbow off the intake manifold (if it will be efi)

To leave the rad in the stock location, and keep the AC condensor in the stock location, you will need short accessories, best off the '96-'01 Explorer 5.0, similar on '94/'95 Mustang, and last 5.0 Cougars.

The stock Explorer 5.0 manifolds will likely work, but one look at them and you will not want to use them.

First step would be to read all the stickies and build info here on TRS, at www.rangerpowersports.com, www.v8-Ranger.com, www.fordfuelinjection.com, etc.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
4. Your tranny wont work with the 5.0. Even if it would it wouldnt last a day.

6. For the EVTM like Teddy mentioned, i got mine from HELM and im very pleased. ALL the wires are in there and the diagrams are big enough to be easily read an not kill the eye.

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Why not a cheap beater ranger . . . why a 2010? If you don't mind my asking. . . I think it would even be easier. . .

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a Helm's for my '03' off Ebay for $8 to my door, took four days. Most have gone with the Explorer wiring/computer and the front dress when doing the later swaps. You are charting a new course - don't remember anyone doing a swap newer than a '05'.
Dave

juniorteck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help guys!

Anybody know what headers will work? I was told the Coil spring 2wd '10 fits headers from the older style rangers?

And why a '10! IT was soooo cheap. $13k new. Zero miles. I am pulling the new motor and trans, sell it. Then in we go. I love clean new cars. It's sticker was $20k. Rebates are good!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For any Ranger '98' and newer, there are only three headers that have been proven to work. The stock Explorer headers, the discontinued FRPP ones or the expensive Torque Monster ones. The Explorer headers came in two styles, the tube type or the cast iron ones. The tube type should go right in the recycle bin. I've got pictures stored away of them all that show the differences if you would want them. Start looking for a 8.8 rear end from a 4.0L and the radiator also. Swaps are not cheap so get ready to enjoy.
Dave

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Start looking for a 8.8 rear end from a 4.0L
2010 Ranger switched to standard 4 wheel disc brakes, traction control and stability control, so the 2010 rear axle assembly is very different compared to previous years. A direct replacement 8.8 would have to come from another 2010. There is no limited slip diff option for any 2010 Ranger.

Of course, a 2009-back Ranger 8.8 or 2001-back Explorer 8.8 should be adaptable with some work.

Darkwolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you ever get the 5.0L swapped into this truck?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals