• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford Ranger 4.0L Cold Air Intake

Tecron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have been looking everywhere for a Cold air intake for my ranger I cannot find one, does anyone know where I can find one for a 94 4.0L

Thanks

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah its called your stock intake. the factory intakes are cold air intakes thats why you cant find a kit pre made. you will have to make it your self if you want one. but it could and probaly would hurt your engine over time if you do.

Last edited:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Your best bet is to keep the intake setup you have. Aftermarket intakes are out there, but don't expect much in the way of support for "Cold Air Intakes" around here. A more accurate description might be "High Flow Intake" since the air isnt any colder and unless you actually install the shield properly, it will be sucking in normal underhood air. Unless you are going to install a turbo or supercharger, or you're dumb like me and break the airbox somehow, best bet is stay with what you have.

Last edited:

Quartermile

So . . . youre looking for a big cone filter and tube that sucks hot air into the engine from under the hood and hurts performance and gas milage just to . . .look cool? Forget it, because the factory intake is a cold air intake. Unless you fabricate something like working hood scoops there are no cold air intakes for Rangers

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have been looking everywhere for a Cold air intake for my ranger I cannot find one, does anyone know where I can find one for a 94 4.0L

Thanks
This is me being nice.

The truck comes Stock with a cold air intake. Putting a K&N style intake on the truck actually makes it a hot air intake. No matter what the advertisement says.

All you are going to get for your trouble is maybe a kewl sound. and less hp. seriously.

And the stock air filters work better then the K&N oil filter. again seriously they do.

Think about it this way. IF the K&N was so damn good. Why doesn't ford use it?

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Think about it this way. IF the K&N was so damn good. Why doesn't ford use it?
Like this?

Last I checked SVT was a part of Ford.

Granted its a Shelby, but my point is this.... if PROPERLY installed with a means of sucking the air from the OUTSIDE rather than form under the hood, then you MAY have an increse in power. your factory airbox has a small duct connected behind the headlight about 2"x4"(I'm guessing, thats what my '99 had). If you just hang a cone off the end, you dont accomplish anything. I don't think any of the walk thrus on this site in the Tech Library depict this heatshield. All you will get is sound. any increase in efficiency gained is thru a less restrictive intake, and as we all have discussed on this blessed site, the engine will only ever take in as much air as it needs. The engine in the picture is SUPERCHARGED, and the cone style intake will not have any effect on what temperature air youre sucking in.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
And besides, we KNOW headers are good, but I've only ever seen a Jeep 4.0 with headers from the factory:icon_twisted:

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think that's a K&N. That's just a cone filter instead of a flat one. no oil.

And I know you know this. But it still gets it air from outside. a K&N Does Not Come with the tubing or materials to pull it in from outside. its a Scam.

So yes that's a cold air intake. No that's not remotely a K&N piece of crap. Don't compare the two.

Defending a scam?

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
No, I'm not defending a scam, I'm illustrating a correct install of a cone style filter. if someone really wants to do it, they should she how its correctly implemented, don't you agree? If he's hellbent on changing a perfectly good intake, then might as well point him in a somwehat correct direction....:icon_thumby:

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And besides, we KNOW headers are good, but I've only ever seen a Jeep 4.0 with headers from the factory:icon_twisted:
i believe 96 and 97 year 2.3L rangers came with short style tube headers from factory....

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
i believe 96 and 97 year 2.3L rangers came with short style tube headers from factory....
really? cool. I thought I'd heard that mentioned around here. I've just never seen a 4 popper ranger from that era. I knew a friend with a 86 4cyl and a friend of mine has a 2008 4 popper. Never looked under their hoods though.

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
My K&n is a cold air intake between late october to about early march. all the other months it is a hot air intake. hehe...No an open k&n cone air filter won't hurt your power/ gas milage. I have run one for several years now and my truck actually gets better gas milage than what ford's rating is for my truck. It has pulled everything that i have tried to pull without struggle. ex: one time my brother was backing our 16 foot boat down a steep hill and he jack knifed the boat trailer.. his f-150 is 2wd and a 5spd not to mention that his back tires were off of the pavement and in some grass. so as you may be assuming by now his tires were spinning. (faggot open differentials) i told him to put it into neutral and i just pulled him right out. not a bit of stuggle for the truck. now yall may be able to do the same thing with your stock intake, but you can't claim that my K&N is hurting my performance/economy. I don't really belive that a K&n will give you what they claim, but i like mine. Just like why does someone go and put a 6 inch lift on their truck and some big tires and go and sink it in the mud.... because they freakin want to. Yall have a good one.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I don't really belive that a K&n will give you what they claim, but i like mine. Just like why does someone go and put a 6 inch lift on their truck and some big tires and go and sink it in the mud.... because they freakin want to. Yall have a good one.
:icon_cheers:
Exactly.

If people want to put these intakes on, theres no need to shout them down, and this site obviously seems to take at the very least an attitude of indifference, if not outright endorsement to intake modification:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ramair2_3.htm
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/K_N_airfilter.html
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Mar04/street.htm
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/3_8_massairflowfor_4_0.htm (<------ I think this is what the OP migh end up doing...)
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4_0_ColdAirInduction.html
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Snorkel.html
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/MySnorkle.html
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/airintake.htm (my fave:icon_rofl:)

Thats not the complete list but you get the idea. So be open minded and if someone asks for help, give the help they seek. These write ups were put in the tech library by someone...

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
It's k0nda crude (MS paint FTW!) but best I could do in my search for a "correct" installation:

It's not any colder, but it IS shielded from engine heat and it IS smoother flowing, which is really the only achievement. Just thought I'd throw that out there since it's sorta hard to articulate without a picture. Most K&N kits I've seen online DO come with this shield, as do all the kits I've seen installed on "Powerblock" on Spike. Only one walkthrough on this site with a cobbled install depicts this heat shield, which makes a whole CORNER of the space under your hood the "airbox" in effect. And I will freely admit I haven't gotten that far myself, but I do intend to:

I just need to fab something up that won't look like crud and will serve its purpose.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals