• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

410 cam installed valvetrain ticking

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Has anyone had an issue with this cam making their motor tick. I've tried literally everything to no avail wondering wth is going on. I even have 2.9 rockers and rods and have bottomed the lifters out to make them basically solid and it still ticks, getting very irritating! Wondering if I need to drop the dough on some sealed power lifters and go back to stop rockers, anyone have this experience ? I also have headers and am unsure if this is adding to my noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Exhaust leak and fuel injector "tick" will have the same timing as rocker "tick".

But rocker tick is mechanical, exhaust and injector is not, well injector is technically, lol.

So just to take it off the table, unplug 1 injector at a time and start engine, it will miss but if "tick" is gone then either that injector or exhaust on that cylinder is the issue.
Rocker tick will still be there whether cylinder fires or not

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ok, i also ruled out any wires arcing by unplugging those one at a time and seeing if the noise would go away, and it didn't (guess I also ruled out a rod knock or a bad wrist pin...)

The only weird thing is when I'm driving its uneven and I can hear it when going down the freeway even. It's extremely frustrating lol. [emoji35][emoji379]

Another thing I don't believe it can be an exhaust leak because it doesn't get any louder with more load, like an exhaust leak would, not saying it isn't that though.

Another question will headers amplify my noise, and could it be possible I'm hearing the valves hitting the valve seats? Because I can hear it quite well with a stethoscope through the headers.

I have comp 988 dual valve springs too.

At this point I'm almost ready to say to hell with all of the mods and just put a stock cam and valve train in it, I'm building another car to go fast anyways, but boy do I love that sound at idle she makes.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I just can't see how it's possible for the truck to be ticking, it's very loud. I bottomed out the lifters and backed them off until I could just turn the pushrods, so in my mind there's no way for there to be any slop. Another thing I want to mention is it is fairly quiet when cold and loud as hell when hot

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So I put in melling lifters and got rid of the headers and I have a huge exhaust leak since the flanges on the y pipe are bigger, just need to hit up the exhaust shop and get those fixed up but no more valvetrain noise. If there is any it's very small and totally tolerable but I think most of my noise is that exhaust leak. No more ticking when I'm cruising and let off the throttle, and no more on the freeway. Once I get the exhaust leak fixed I'll finally be able to drive the thing without my radio blasting, thank god I kept the stock manifolds!!

Headers are for sale btw [emoji23] $100 used for about 2000 miles, pacesetters. Made for 98-00 4.0 ohvz

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well hopefully it is gone.

Doesn't make much since to me either, as loud as you described that tick there should have been some sign of it when adjusting the valve train.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yeah no kidding. That's why it took me so long to figure it out, but I swapped back the 4.0 rockers and pushrods also, and preload was good, I have the 5.550" pushrods. First start up was quite rattly but once the lifters pumped up no noise.

It's quite weird that couldn't find and wearing on anything, it all looked smooth. I'm wondering if with the headers it was transmitting noise from the valves hitting the seats but idk.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well it's back with a vengeance within 2 weeks..... I hate this truck lol, this seems unorthodox but I'm curious if I'm running too thick of oil? I have 10-40 right now in it, it's louder when it's cold and even though it's still prominent when it's hot it is quieter, makes me think possibly my oil is too thick? Any thoughts?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals