• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flat tow 4wd

mosher41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1996, 201
Transmission
Automatic
guys,
I am looking to tow my 04 XLT 4.0 auto, 4wd behind the motor home. Ford offers a neutral tow kit part # 3L2Z-7H332-AA. Our local dealer says NO.... any ideas here guys

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
guys,
I am looking to tow my 04 XLT 4.0 auto, 4wd behind the motor home. Ford offers a neutral tow kit part # 3L2Z-7H332-AA. Our local dealer says NO.... any ideas here guys
Rent a small flatbed trailer from Uhaul. CHeap and the best way to go for the ranger

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have towed all makes of 4x4's over the years. But they all had a neutral in the transfer case. If you can get that transfer case in neutral that would be my choice instead of that u-haul trailer. I always put the transfer case in neutral and the real transmission in PARK or LOW if it is a stick shift. Thataway I know for sure the transfer case is truly in neutral.
Big JIm

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
If there is a neutral kit for the transfer case, ask ford to explain why it won't work on your truck. Then go to another dealer and ask them. If you get the same answer twice, they are probably right and I wouldn't want to risk it.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
If you are really worried about it. Dropping the drive shafts isn't all that hard. and pretty much guarantee's you won't have problems.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have towed all makes of 4x4's over the years. But they all had a neutral in the transfer case. If you can get that transfer case in neutral that would be my choice instead of that u-haul trailer. I always put the transfer case in neutral and the real transmission in PARK or LOW if it is a stick shift. Thataway I know for sure the transfer case is truly in neutral.
Big JIm

the specified proceedure is T-case in neutral transmission
in Gear (manual) pr Park (auto)

I've towed my own truck from my home in pennsylvania
to my brother's place in Wyoming.

Flat towed I have permanantly mounted tow bar brackets on my truck, T-case in neutral trans in gear.

AD

Ranger97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you are really worried about it. Dropping the drive shafts isn't all that hard. and pretty much guarantee's you won't have problems.
ditto, best way to guarantee nothing happens

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
guys,
See if >>THIS<< helps. Looks like that kit is for 2006+ trucks. And earlier trucks may have something added that wasn't there back when most of our trucks were built. It's very confusing and I am in the remove the driveshaft camp on this unless I saw what it was that allows you to put an electric-controlled t-case in 2-hi and tow it with the manual tranny in neutral. Did they move the lube pump in the t-case?

mosher41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1996, 201
Transmission
Automatic
sorry guys I should have worded it different, Ford Dealer says he can't get the part. and I am not even sure how it works or what it really does....not into taking drive shaft out. We use a saturn now but it is getting tired

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
its just 4 bolts well on mine it is should be the same idk keep the socket with u or in the truck u dont have to take it out just tie it up under there or zip tie it good not much and its free

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry guys I should have worded it different, Ford Dealer says he can't get the part. and I am not even sure how it works or what it really does....not into taking drive shaft out. We use a saturn now but it is getting tired
I don't think it will work on a 2004, according to that TSB, is what I'm saying. I found this:

Have 07 4x4 Auto Supercab. Ranger
Dealer installed "neutral kit", actually just a LED indicator light ($25) and dealer computer programming. My dealer charged $110 for the install with kit.
Brake: Ready Brute+ w/BlueOx baseplate, only way to go, IMHO.
2009 Tow Guide shows same kit I have...3L2Z-7H332-AA
It leads me to believe there is something different about your truck from the later trucks. Maybe the electric shift motor can be put into neutral with this kit. You can definately order it. I found it by googling the part number. I saw one on Ebay, too, but was using just the 7H332 and didn't verify the rest.

mosher41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1996, 201
Transmission
Automatic
Guys thanks for all of the responses....the only way to tow this truck flat is to put a drive shaft coupler in it REMCO makes one for a cool 1200 beans. Probobly go that route. THANKS AGAIN for the direction

Last edited:

David Moore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010 Ford Explo
Transmission
Automatic
Ford Neutral Tow Kit

According to Ford, the neutral tow kit can be ordered in March but is not expected to be availabe until April. None are available on the Ford locator, even tried in Canada. I'm waiting for one for a 2010 Explorer. We may end up renting a trailer......or leaving the darn thing in the desert!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Put a Shiftster on it....it has a neutral locking position.

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This kit is no longer available from Ford. It consisted of a computer reflash a decal and an LED light to indicate it was in neutral. The reflash told the computer that if a certain sequence of events happened the electric shift motor would shift the transfer case into the neutral position (between 4 hi and 4 lo), the decal was instructions for the proper sequence of events to put it in neutral and the LED confirmed it was in neutral. From what I understand the kit is no longer available because the company the wrote the reflash program was now in a dispute with Ford and no longer makes the program available. The program was not downloadable to a disc and was available for a fee per use and VIN coded. If Ford ever settles the dispute it will probablt again be available. For now you could take the shift motor off and manually shift into neutral or do as I do remove the rear shaft. If I get somewhere along the way and need to drive the Ranger I just put it in 4 hi and drivr it in front wheel drive....if I am going to drive a long distance it is easy enough to put the shaft back in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals