• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tires & shocks?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
My truck is getting an alignment as I'm writing this!
Tires on there are wild trac ltr 31x10.5 15 and the shocks (that are still loose) are rancho. Thoughts on ride quality?

To me it's really hard and noisy (still lots of work needed)

My reg cab 4.0 4wd long bed had a nice ride quality, 265 75 R15 street tread & Monroe shocks.

Stay with or plan on changing to a softer rated tires. & Shocks?

I know it's a truck so I'm aware that is the ride we get, and not even close to wheels independent suspension.

there are plenty of rattles hopefully the alignment is a start in the right direction.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is this truck a torsion bar suspension model?

Just wondered. My '02 4WD XLT, 245/75-16 Michelin tires, new KGB shocks is a torsion bar vehicle and frankly bounces hard over any bumps or dips in the road. The new shocks helped but not that much. Otherwise it drives well so I accept it as is.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have been very happy with my Monroe shocks. I have some nasty hard LT tires on my Ranger, a set of Monroe OEspectrums up front and the coil-over load-levelers on the rear, and a number of people have told me they were very surprised by the smooth ride.

Before these the last set of shocks I was happy with were KYBs.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thank you for the replies!

It's coil springs up front,

the toe in was really bad,

I had them criss cross rotate the scalloped front tires to the back and the noise is nowhere near as bad,

The truck now shakes a little bit less because the wheels are tracking better,

So, the alignment really made a difference and I like a steering wheel that is centered .

I've always looked at helper spring shocks as a shortcut and wonder if they would break the mounting bolts off rusty old trucks like Rangers.

Monroe shocks have been around forever. I'll probably get those for the amount of work it's going to take to tighten up the Rancho Shocks that were installed improperly.

I think I'll stay with the tires for now that's $4-500 I don't need to spend since these are practically new even though they ride hard.

But this truck Index-Journal overrides much harder than the regular cab long bed that I sold I think the wheel bases are 114" vs 126"?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
How old is the gearoil in the rear axle and it a limited slip? It wouldnt hurt to change the gearoil and add the slippery stuff if it is posi rear. You can get some chatter if the tires are not the same size round? Just a thought.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
How old is the gearoil in the rear axle and it a limited slip? It wouldnt hurt to change the gearoil and add the slippery stuff if it is posi rear. You can get some chatter if the tires are not the same size round? Just a thought.
It's open, but will be working our way back, I've only had this truck about 2 months

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I was under the assumption all 4x4s came stock with a limited slip third member. Pressing in some new rear leaf bushings might also be in order to tighten it up?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I was under the assumption all 4x4s came stock with a limited slip third member. Pressing in some new rear leaf bushings might also be in order to tighten it up?
Probably in October we're going to pull the bed and do some frame work reinforcement welding, spring mounts etc etc

no they don't all come with limited slip first thing I did was check the door code

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Duh, right rear lower shock mount had no bushing inside the rubber bushing so it was moving easily a half an inch and all directions. Put a piece of PEX tubing in there until I track down the proper bushing and Bolt.

They are Rancho Shocks for sure and while this one was unbolted pushed up and down on it seems okay.

Exhaust pipe is ready to fall need a hanger.

Going to check the front shocks today if I find the energy. Unbelievable amount of rust, the upper crossmember I think that supports the cab is extremely rusty,

Parking brake cables need to be replaced only one side works I'm actually afraid for us to take the wheels drums off the back.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Just like in the video only, way more difficult and time-consuming for old people. The doorman replacement bolt stud really works well it's very heavy and it has a large shoulder to prevent it moving sideways. and I think it's beveled so if someone wanted to weld it it's already set up for that.

So, out of 4 shock absorbers 3 of them were loose, I'm talking rattling loose! hopefully that will make a difference on ride quality,

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
eeeeeeeewwwwwww rust!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
"that's okay we'll put the fender liner back in after we fix some other stuff"
I said to the garage after they got that O2 wiring harness out from between the bellhousing and engine block.

WTH was I thinking?!! I've been almost all day trying to get that thing back in there! "Denise will do the easy stuff" somebody should have warned me OMG

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Feels like a different truck definitely way way better tightening the shocks and setting the tire pressure about 28 lb made a huge difference!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Amazon shopping shock absorbers, I've noticed quite a few 5 and 4 1/2 star ratings on shock absorbers I've never heard of.

They are much cheaper so it has me wondering about generics being made by the same factories that make the big bucks names, which makes sense because this seems to happen in all areas of manufacturing

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Amazon shopping shock absorbers, I've noticed quite a few 5 and 4 1/2 star ratings on shock absorbers I've never heard of.

They are much cheaper so it has me wondering about generics being made by the same factories that make the big bucks names, which makes sense because this seems to happen in all areas of manufacturing
in my experience, you get what you pay for with shocks. i just installed a set of rancho rs5000 shocks in the front of my f150. rides super smooth with completely worn out front tires.

monroes are decent. gabriels arent bad. ive had great success with kyb. and im too cheap to try the more expensive brands.

rear shocks, i always use monroe air shocks in all my trucks, aired to 20pso for normal driving. and aired up according to the trailer im towing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals