• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Deep Cycle Batteries

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why would someone prefer to use 2x 6v Deep cycle batteries connected in series to make 12v as opposed to using 2x 12v deep cycle batteries connected in parallel?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you got me. why would somebody do that?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
some of the older RVs used two 6 volt batteries for the coach. most older Diesel equipment used multiple sets of 6 volt batteries wired like that. infact ..... a long long time ago everything automotive used 6 volt batteries. I thought you were talking about a winch set up or something.

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
some of the older RVs used two 6 volt batteries for the coach. most older Diesel equipment used multiple sets of 6 volt batteries wired like that. infact ..... a long long time ago everything automotive used 6 volt batteries. I thought you were talking about a winch set up or something.

Eventually I will be adding a winch to my vehicle, but before I do that I'll already have installed 2 of some sort of deep cycle battery. I had bee seriously considering using 2 group 27 Deep cycle Marine batteries but have yet to come to a final decision.

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Isn't it because the load accross each battery is less so they last longer?

My brother-in-law always wires his boat's electric motor to two batteries because he says he gets more run time that way than running one down and hooking up the second.

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Isn't it because the load accross each battery is less so they last longer?

My brother-in-law always wires his boat's electric motor to two batteries because he says he gets more run time that way than running one down and hooking up the second.
2 6v bolt batteries, or 2 12v batteries?

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why would that make a difference?

EDIT: I see, series or parrallel. Either way the batteries share the load, no?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
When batteries are hooked in series, you'll have a harder time keeping them balanced. Even due to manufacturing tolerances, if one battery has a slightly lower capacity than the other, then that battery will drain faster because it's having to source the same current as the "stronger" battery even though it's voltage may be lower. It's also be an exponential decay on the weaker battery. Torwards the end, it'll just turn into a parasitic load on the system when it gets really low. When they are hooked in parallel, they will keep themselves balanced naturally.

As for your deep cycle selection, why not go with a group 29 marine? If I recall, they are the same size and offer a higher capacity. But they also cost more. I guess it could be a future upgrade. You wouldn't have to re-do a mounting system because they are the same size...

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I might have found an answer to my question, and it's reasonable and completely nixes the idea of using 6v batteries.

Let's take 2 nearly identical batteries except for these facts that 1 battery is 6v and the other is 12 volt. And rea lets say that the 6v battery has a 240 min reserve capacity and 625 CCA and the 12v has a 180 min reserve capacity and 625 CCA. So right now the 6v has a better looking reserve capacity.

You connect 2x 6v batteries in series to make 12v and what do you have?
12v 625 CCA and still 240 min reserve capacity.

You connect 2x 12v batteries in parallel which still makes 12v and what do you have?
12v 1250 CCA and 360 min reserve capacity. (Because the load is split between the batteries and not using the full capacity of them)

So in this situation the 12v batteries look like the better deal.

The only question that I would have is the long term durability of the 6v vs. the 12v batteries.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals