• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

speedometer bounce still

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so i changed the speedo cable and speed sensor in my 93 ranger, but still getting the speedometer bounce. what could be next? the speedo housing in the cluster? lubed the inner cable, made sure nothing is kinked or sharp bends. Put in a new vehicle speed sensor while i was at it just bcuz. cruise control does not hold a steady speed either but i think the 2 are unrelated. I'm leaning towards the cruise control servo as to why it does not hold a steady speed. Most of the time once i get to around sixty i'm basically driving by ear bcuz the speedo bounces from 60down to 55 back up.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
The speedometer its self may have an issue.

rfl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pull the rear drive shaft and replace the worm gear that the spedo gear sits against. It likely looks like this (I did the same head-banging until someone on this site set me straight)...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Do you think its possible to take the speed sensor out and feel inside to tell if the gear is bad? wondering if i can get a finger in there to see if it's bad before i take all of it apart. Where did you get the speedo gear from?

rfl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you think its possible to take the speed sensor out and feel inside to tell if the gear is bad? wondering if i can get a finger in there to see if it's bad before i take all of it apart. Where did you get the speedo gear from?
I did not try that. I got the gear from Ford; only took a day for it to show up. I do not remember what I paid for it, but it was not extreme, and it was worth the money. You also need a seal, but that was cheap. Having said that, if you are okay spending the money on the seal, just pull the seal and the gear slides out. You can get visual (instead of just a cheap feel) for the cost of the seal :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I will check this out and see what I can find. Just need to find the time right now. Did you have problems with your cruise control not holding steady while the speedo was having problems?

never mind, just re-read your post. great, i just bought a cruise control servo to try to fix the cruise problem. oh well.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
did you go to the dealer for these parts then?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i ordered the parts at the dealer today. should be in tomorrow. What size is the big nut holding the yoke on?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
pulled out the old gear. everything went pretty easy, i was very surprised. I sprayed everything with PB blaster a couple days ahead of this. I was not happy to see that the gear that was in there looked pretty good. However the yoke nut was loose. definately not 150 ft lbs. I could actually pull the yoke in and out a bit before i even loosened the nut. When i tightened it i got it down to 150 and it snugged right up, no play now. I did not finish to test it tonight. wife came home with dinner and i called it a day. I'll find out in the morning if it is better. I'm surprised that this thing turns to register speed as it just slides in, and it doesnt actually lock in to anything. Unless the pressure of the yoke when properly torqued makes it spin. :icon_confused:

Attachments

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
All back together, no leaks, no bouncing needle, cruise control works now and holds a steady speed. so nice to have the cruise back. I think i'll send back the servo as its not needed now. only negative is the speed is off. speedo says 60, gps says 64. oh well. I really think the problem was the yoke nut was loose. The old gear looked as good as the new one. There was a lot of play between the yoke and the transfer case, the nut was pretty loose. all tight now and no play.

rfl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad you got it sorted out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals