• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Skyjacker 6" or James Duff 6"??????????????

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Just take measurements and be prepared to make adjustments as need. Brian sold me my lift too. Really nice people and I agree in feeling comfortable giving them my hard earned money.

Order adjustable alignment bushings. I don't remember if I said that, but they will be really helpful in getting the alignment correct. Post tons of pictures!

Sent from my iPhone

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Extreme alignment bushings, definitely! I think mine have 6 degrees.

You can't go wrong with JD.

Rivets are the devil.

I was able to stack washers on both of my Rangers. I also got longer bolts, too. Meh. You should be avle to stick about 1" of washers underneath at least.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I already had those adjustable alignment bushings installed like 15 years ago....I think...dealer I worked at said they couldn't align it any more so they had to install them, it was expensive. They look like giant castle nuts right?

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Wiz,thanks for those pictures. Yep, that's them. I can't remember the last time I uploaded pictures but I need to refresh myself fast bc I want to post a ton of pics once I start building.

It's going to be a little bit bc I'm still building the 302, almost there, and want to be able to work on it in the garage. With the lift it won't fit and I'll be stuck outside for the winter.

Today I ordered a Broader Performance C4 good to 500hp (was highly recommended over TCI and PA) and the smaller 157 tooth case fill bellhousing. Can't wait for the stuff to get here!!!

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing feels better than get new expensive toys :) I was like a kid on Christmas when my lift came in and all the other parts too!

Sent from my iPhone

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Wiz, I can't find any axle pivot bushings which I was told are included. Also, why did I get 1·5" blocks? The tag says lowering blocks. I figured this lift was all springs and no blocks. In any case, the quality of this kit is unbelievable. It simply could not be made any better, and I am more than satisfied. And like I stated before, the people over at James Duff are second to none.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I bought 3" stage 2. I had to buy axle pivot bushings separately. Maybe call and ask them about the block. My kit came with add-a-leafs that I didn't need. The blocks may be a precaution. This kit fits 3 configurations of ranger, the bronco 2, and the first gen explorer. They had to make it universal. Explorer has axle over spring unlike ranger and b2.

When I got my kit, they sent me 12 shock boots for 6 shocks. But they are great people to work with. I'm very happy with my stuff.

Sent from my iPhone

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Wiz, , the lift doesnt come with spring leveling pads....duffs site says with 5" and above it will almost certainly be needed to correct the pinion angle. Should I just go ahead and purchase these from them? As you can tell I am new to lifts and have lots of questions heh. Thanks.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
That's a tough one to say, both kits have their merits...

I would lean toward the Skyjacker on a truck that gets used on the street a lot (especially during the winter season) simply because of the radius arm bushings that are more resilient to road grime, salt, mud, water, whatever is prevalent on your roads (and/or trails).

The JD kit in theory should have a little bit more flex because of the heim ends, though I've seen some extremely good flex from setups running bushings (I run bushings on mine and haven't observed a shortage of flex). The JD kit also comes with a dual-shock setup (stg-2 & 3 kits), which can add to it's versatility if you start tuning it for higher speed use and/or putting flexier coils in it, etc.

Pay attention to your steering linkage angle, especially if you start adding things like spacers on top of a lift. A bad angle on the steering linkage will cause all kinds of nightmares with handling, not to mention greatly affects your tire wear as well.
Sorry I am just now getting around to posting on this subject. I have a Sky Jacker Class II setting in my shed. I pulled it off and swapped in a James Duff Stage III in 2011. It is on a 97 Ranger Splash. The Sky Jacker was run from 99 thru 2011. Having owned and riddin on both set ups I will chime in saying the James Duff is Head and shoulders above the Sky Jacker in road mannerism. The Sky Jacker was a good kit but if you set both of them side by side I think the James Buff is built a lot better. ( I am not saying the Sky Jacker is junk in any way shape or form.)

Do not worry about the Heim Joints on the road as they ride really well with the Springs provided by James Duff.

jesselee20040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 about to swap in 2.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
Do you want to sell the stx axle pivot brackets? If so let me know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals