• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

35ttb or 44ttb?

89rangerfun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 but 5.3 on the way!!
Transmission
Manual
So I am planning to over haul my 89 ranger as soon as I get back from deployment and I have a large list of parts on order and a massive pile already sitting in my garage but one thing I cant make my mind up on is should I keep my 35ttb I have waiting or go to a 44ttb? so my plans for this truck is more of a go fast rig but I also hit the local trails and do some mild crawling.

So pretty much my question is I am using a LM7 (aka 5.3 Vortec) for the heart and a 9in rear axle but I'm not sure if I should go with a 35ttb or 44ttb. I'm wondering how much can the 35ttb handle if built correctly? I plan to push about 350-400hp with a mild build on the motor and 35s. Ill keep the diff open so that should help but should I step up to a 44ttb instead? Ether way it will be well built, cut&turned, chromo shafts, ect..ect....

So what is everyones opinions keep the 35ttb or get a 44ttb?

Thank you for the suggestions and please don't bash me for putting Chevy in a ford!

Last edited:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Dana 44TTB is not much stronger than the Dana 35TTB. Ring gear and pinion is larger thats about it.

Look at the F150s that had the D44TTB and notice they were not putting out big numbers from the engine and the tire size was only a 30-31 factory. There is a reason why when the OHC engines came out the front end of the F150 received an 8.8IFS.

With that kind of power and only using 4x4 off road in low power situations a D35TTB will get you around. If you plan on launching the truck on the street in 4x4 dont use any TTB design and just go solid axle.

Even the Dana 50TTB cant take that much power. Ive seen those under light duty 7.3 F250s shear pinions and shred u joint ears on the axle shafts with 33 inch tires.

89rangerfun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 but 5.3 on the way!!
Transmission
Manual
No I would never 4high launch. I would only ever use 4x4 when absolutely needed. like I said its more of a go fast truck that sees occasional trail usage and I'm a very relaxed driver. I will probably stick with my 35ttb build it up and just go easy on it.

Thank you for your response. Anymore input is appreciated to!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The D44 does have the bigger wheel bolt pattern (which may or may not match your 9") bigger brakes, better wheel bearing spacing and stronger locking hubs.

But you can also gain all that by hanging D44 knuckles on your D35 beams :icon_idea:

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/44knuckleswap.htm

You can find tons of axle reading (including TTB D44 swaps) in the appropriate area of the tech library:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-axles.shtml

The '97+ F-150's went to IFS for many more reasons than fears of D44's splattering all over. The non-PI 5.4 didn't have that much more whoopee than the outgoing 5.8.

89rangerfun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 but 5.3 on the way!!
Transmission
Manual
I had planned to do the 44 knuckle swap already! :icon_thumby: because who doesn't want good brakes and matching lug patterns?:icon_twisted: I guess that is the plan as of now. but who knows I cant go get everything until I'm home in a couple months anyway so ill probably change my mind another 10 times. :icon_twisted: now to talk to AA and figure out my trans and transfer case situation :shok:

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I think the decision between the D35 or a D44 should be based purely on: "Do you want full-size width? Or do you want stock width?"

As was said, the strength difference between them is not huge, though if you are planning on custom chromo shafts, this could be unknown territory with a D35, as chromos haven't been widely available for it yet (most D35 breakage involves the stock shafts, and is what makes the two axles otherwise so similar in strength). Whether a set of chromos are enough to move it's weakest link into the diff remains to be seen. People have been putting alloy shafts in D44s for years however and it's generally been shown they remain that axle's weakest link.

I will say with the very few internal failures I've seen on TTB D35s (pretty much limited to just a few spider gear failures on stock carriers), there must still be a decent margin of strength on it (unlike on Jeep D30s where I've seen maybe about 30% of breakage involving the diff and/or R&P gears).

If you plan on launching the truck on the street in 4x4 dont use any TTB design and just go solid axle.
TTB vs. solid wouldn't matter here (at least regarding the D44), the diff internals, shafts, and u-joints are all the same thing on both.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
TTB vs. solid wouldn't matter here (at least regarding the D44), the diff internals, shafts, and u-joints are all the same thing on both.
Sorry if that statement didnt read clearly. What i meant by dont use any TTB is D35, D44, and D50 are all considerably weak in application to power and all are no big improvement over the other. Dana 60 solid is what I was pointing to.

As stated by op no 4x4 launches and just when needed off road id stay with the Dana 35 TTB

89rangerfun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 but 5.3 on the way!!
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the extra info I am definitely gonna stick with my D35. If it wasn't gonna be more of a "go fast" truck and more of a crawler I would go dana 60 front and corp14 rear all day. But that build will be later down the road and some sort of SUV for sure. Now that I'm set on what I'm doing for that. I guess it's on to more important things and keep ordering parts haha:headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals