• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Batteries

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering what do you guys/gals run for batteries?

I just picked up a Napa Gold 1030AMP, 875CCA for my truck. The funny thing is the guy was worried it wouldn't work. He said and I quote "that is what we have listed for a super duty, do you mind if I look at your truck to make sure it fits?"

Haha

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I have been using a Diehard Platinum #65 for 6+ years now. Still starts strong on the coldest days (single digit winters) and tests strong twice a year. If it should go out, I'm buying another one. Wished they make them in the 75 group, but the best I can go for are the Gold AGM series should the one in the Blazer go dead.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought the Ranger I presently have in late May this year. It has one of the the AAA (Automobile Club) batteries in it. According to the paper work that came with it, the previous owner who is also the original owner, installed January 2011. It's outside of the 3 year free replacement but still has a little over 2 years left on the pro rated warranty. Hasn't given me any trouble yet. If it does they will bring me another one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
One of the Guys I work with had his battery in his ranger for 11 years before it died. It was the original motorcraft battery that his truck came with.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I use an Interstate Marine deep cycle. Never had an issue running them (even in sub zero temps). I like the idea of being able to use the heck out of my winch and not killing the battery (they are meant to be discharged and then re-charge fairly quickly).

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Panasonic OEM Batteries from a Toyota are the longest lasting batteries ive seen in a vehicle. 10+ years with most 15+ in life. Some Mitsubishi also used Panasonic.

Friend owns an auto parts store/auto salvage yard. We used to get customers with 10+ year old Toyotas that they had purchased new come in for batteries and every single battery they brought us was a Panasonic OEM battery. So without hesitation every time he would get a wrecked Toyota or any import with a Panasonic battery we pulled it to use. All my trucks have Panasonic batteries and some are from 2000 and still work just fine. I am in a cold climate as well with single digit winters.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I got 11 years out of the OEM Motorcraft battery. Replaced it with the same!!

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Optima redtop.
8 years old. It was used for 5 years in a friends 78 datsun 280z, then he parked the car behind my barn for 3 years now sitting and collecting dust.
When I bought my ranger it had no battery so I went out there and snagged it out of the Datsun just to see if it worked. Put it in the ranger and hit the key and it cranked like a new battery... truck fired right up. Been using it for almost a year with no issues.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My choptop has a 65-series Never-Start from Wally-world. Junk. I've never had one outlast the 3-year free replacement period. When it dies, I'm getting something else.

My F-150 has a gold 65-series DieHard from Sears (the 2-year free replacement DieHard died in less than three years so it was a warranty deal). So far so good on that, and I've beat on it pretty hard running a plow.

My dad's Ranger and my mom's Explorer both are running Gold series batteries from Autozone with no issues. IIRC, Autozone batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes a lot of the big name batteries.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
$20 Interstate Econobattery. Basically a battery that exceeded its shelf life with no warrenty. (I think they put a year on them now)

IIRC I think it is similar to a 700cca MT-34

Put it in sometime shortly after the V8 swap in 2011. Truck had been sitting for nearly 2 weeks and at about 15* last night it whipped over and started great.

My '02 F-150 has a MTP-65. I think it is a little more battery than it came with but comes in the same carcass.

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The battery in the Rat was DOA. I replaced it With a Value Craft. Cheapest car battery from Auto Zone. The truck starts easily and the charging system is great. I ran it flat several times and figured it a was a goner. Lately I have started it after having it sit for 3 weeks. It is going into its 4th winter. The Rat is my 3rd car, If it doesnt start, I use the jump pack and then stash it in back of the seats.:D

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sometimes those cheap batteries work out okay. I had one that I bought from Walmart that I had used in several different vehicles over a 6 year span and sold the last car it was in with it still working. It was an Everstart or something like that.

haydnmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure how, but I have an interstate battery from 1998 that is still going strong in my 92 ranger.

Napabandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I swapped my wife's Walmart battery from her ranger into mine when her truck wasn't running just to keep it in good shape. Never swapped it back. Date on it is 2002. Still works great. Sold her truck with my good Interstate and it died a couple weeks later. Went in with my friend that bought her truck and it was still under warranty. Batteries are a crap shoot these days.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals