• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headliner

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
is there anywhere to get a new headliner? ive found new headliner material, but im scared that if i took the old fabric off of the cardboard that the cardboard will be messed up. the one i have isnt sagging or anything, just dirty, faded, has cigarette holes and small gouges in it. is there anything i could just put over the fabric i have since its not comming off or anything?

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I used marine grade carpet, you know the stuff they use in camper shells. I'v been trying to find the cardboard, but have had no luck.

-Jester

sirjeremyjohnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
My headliner was the same way, i just took mine down and cut off any lose fabric that was no longer attached to the foam and left the rest, I sprayed a ton of the strongest 3m adhesive and glued my headliner fabric to that, it held fine and went back in my truck with no fit issues and looks great, i can post some pics if you want.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
My headliner was the same way, i just took mine down and cut off any lose fabric that was no longer attached to the foam and left the rest, I sprayed a ton of the strongest 3m adhesive and glued my headliner fabric to that, it held fine and went back in my truck with no fit issues and looks great, i can post some pics if you want.
Please do

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Replace the fabric

Take the headliner out and pull the old material off carefully. If you are careful, you can sand the headliner smooth, just don't stay in place very long. If there are any cracks, fix them first. I used hi-temp duct tape that has super adhesive backing. Go to a auto paint store and buy the 3m spray adhesive (contact cement) in a spay can. You will probably need 2-3 cans. Spay both the headliner material and backing, allow to tack, then start attaching the parts together. You will need a helper for that part since you will need to get the material straight. As you attach the headliner smooth it out in one direction, only do one half at a time, that seems to work better. Allow to dry for a few hours, trim, and reinstall. It is not that hard, I've doing my own headliners for years. The hardest one I did was on my hearse, I saved $1000.00 by doing it myself, and most people think I had it done at a upholstery shop. Just take your time, you will probably do just fine.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
For what it's worth, the last time I got a quote on material it turned out that having it recovered by a local shop was only a few dollars more than purchasing the materials and doing it myself. I removed the headliner and dropped it off with them, but let them do all the detail work of the recovering.

sirjeremyjohnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
When I did mine the backing was made of a styrofoam, not a cardboard, and it was so fragile I don't even see how i got it out and then back in. When I started taking it out I figured it would fall apart before I even started. Here are the pics, It actually looks better in person than it does here, all those dimples are invisible without the flash.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals