• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spun Main Bearing?

cwcnoles03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a 96 4.0L Ranger. I let my father use it for about a month while I was at school and now there is a loud knocking sound under the hood and I don't think it's even driveable. I haven't tried nor have I put a stethoscope up to it, which from reading other forums, is what I should do? However, what I'm trying to determine is whether or not my dad's prognosis could be viable. He believes that it is a spun main bearing. SO my question is, what does a spun main bearing sound like? And what does a busted rod sound like? This sound is pretty freaking loud, and there's chemical/burning smell upon disengage.

Thanks

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
Contact a oil analysis place, get a sample kit and send a sample back to them. Probably cost $20 - $30 dollars and they can tell what is worn by the metals and chemicals in the oil. Or you can get a mechanic .

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, one way to tell the difference between a broken rod and a spun main bearing is a cranking compression test. The broken rod will have zero compression....

But there are other possiblities, and an automotive stethoscope really is the right thing to do first. These are cheap.

Kona, how can oil analysis tell which bearings are thrashed? They are all made out of the same material.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Drain your oil into a dish pan or some other clean pan. Shine a very bright light into the pan of oil and see if you see sparkles in the oil. Try blowing into the pan slightly and you should be able to tell something right away. If the oil looks like it has glittery material in it, youve wasted a bearing, or more. If youve broken a rod, the whole motor will be shaking like hell when you run it, and you will visibly see it shaking back and forth terribly. A broken rod will result in a massive imbalance in the rotating mass of the engine, thus casing the violent shaking. Hope this is some help......and that MAKG doesnt think im too far off. Im kidding of course.

Silverado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
From my experience years ago, a busted rod sounds like an angry midget is inside your engine with a sledgehammer having a temper tantrum.

A spun bearing sounded like a rifle being discharged in full auto (I think what you guys call a Class 3) inside the crankcase.

Did that help? LOL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals