• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

F150 Coil Spring Swap to Ranger

JakeC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Could I swap the Front Coils from a F150 to my 1989 Ranger XLT 4x4? Would it make it sit higher? Any bad side effects of this or suggest ways to do so?

Irokranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Gives a 1½-2 inches more in height ---You could use its coil spring 150 on your ranger very easy to install

Last edited:

redrangerjim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've thought of trying the same thing. Does is matter if the coils come from a 4wd or 2wd F150?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here's a link to a guy that did this;
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78490
I've done some research on this and have come up with the '78-'79 full size bronco spring as a possibility. It has 271 ppi. spring rate compared to the rangers approx. 430 ppi. It's about 4" longer than stock ranger.
From left to right;'79 fsb, unknown f-150, unknown f-150,'87 stx highrider [I think it's 2" longer than stock?], '79 fsb

I'm going to install this in my truck soon so I don't have any actual numbers to give you on how much higher this spring will give you.
Here's another link with good info, it's in the tech section;
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2003/F-150_coils_for_your_V8_BII_or_Ranger.htm
Good luck,
Richard

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got ones off a 4x4 89 If I remember correctly. I love it. Stiff as a tank though. remember to get the spring retaining clips and the shocks while your there.

93 4x4 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in the middle of doing this swap and was wondering about what people have done as far as the shocks for it. I know in the read up he says he used F-150 with a 2 inch lift anyone used some different?

irishblessing

I'm in the middle of doing this swap and was wondering about what people have done as far as the shocks for it. I know in the read up he says he used F-150 with a 2 inch lift anyone used some different?
i used f150 springs as well i bought them from autozone there Gabriels for an 88 F150 which the guy behind the counter said were the same part number for the 4wd ranger the shocks are the right length but i had to push the rubber peices out of the shocks and get new oned because the ones that came with the shocks wouldn't fit onto the shock bolts.

here is a thread from my results
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83591

Last edited:

93 4x4 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i used f150 springs as well i bought them from autozone there Gabriels for an 88 F150 which the guy behind the counter said were the same part number for the 4wd ranger the shocks are the right length but i had to push the rubber peices out of the shocks and get new oned because the ones that came with the shocks wouldn't fit onto the shock bolts.

here is a thread from my results
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83591
There was no way I could of used a stock F-150 shock with mine. I measured the one of my dad's 89 and they were a little more than an inch short.

irishblessing

was your truck jacked up in the air when you checked i had to jack mine up a little bit to compress the spring to put the shocks on

Countryboy91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 stocker
Transmission
Automatic
How much lift was gained? Any brackets or etc needed?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals