• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody have a K&N Air Filter on their ranger

05fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking about getting one for my 05 XLT and was wondering what people thought of them on their rangers and the difference it made in hp and gas mileage? I know it only adds 2-3 hp but can you really tell or not?

thanks

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a K&N drop in. I haven't had any problems, but no real MPG or HP gains. I just like the reusable filter.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
My truck had a drop in K&N when I got it, They dont give and increase in HP, but like Ranger44 I Like mine because it reusable.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
im not 100% but ive heard of k/n fouls out the i o2 sensors, i think

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
ive also heard of dealer voiding warranties due to having k&n. i had the fipk on my truck for a while and the only difference i notivced was the sound it made when i would hit the throttle.

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have a K&N drop in as well,,,works fine ,no hp or mlg gains, but because it gets oiled it will bung up sensors downstream of it

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I have one, only because the guy I bought my engine from gave it to me and my old one was filthy. I like the fact that its reusable.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The only thing the K&N will pass more than the OEM paper filter is dirt and oil.
As previoously mentioned, the K&N will contaminate your MAF sensor, and gum-up your IAC valve, and throttle body.

Born24wheel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have used K&N filters but there is no real noticable difference. The other alternative is a cold air intake which ive noticed does give hp and mpg if that is what your looking for, just my .02.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I have used K&N filters but there is no real noticable difference. The other alternative is a cold air intake which ive noticed does give hp and mpg if that is what your looking for, just my .02.
Your truck comes stock with a cold air intake. Most CAIs draw air from under the hood, which is actually warmer than the air drawn from near the grille, as done with the stock set-up.

91redneckranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 2WD Ranger
Transmission
Manual
a K&N filter wont do you much good in terms of hp and mpg...and it will eventually clog up some sensors. The only thing its really good for is the sound...but the polished FIPK does look pretty sharp..i had one on my 02 and loved it...and it worked really nicely with the magnaflow exhaust i had. too bad i slammed it into a 287 support pillar...i loved that truck...:bawling:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Wait a minute....have any of you actually had a gummed up MAF? I've been running mine for a year with no problem, and my MAF looks fine. This is a rumor that's been going around for a while now. K&N disproved it. I'd think the only thing that'd really mess it up would be way over oiling it.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How did K&N "disprove" it?

And define "over-oiling," since K&N never bothered.

And I certainly cleaned pink oil out of the inside of my 2.9L throttle body (though it had no MAF to foul), as well as out of the intake manifold and carburetor for my 250 I-6. So, maybe I'm "overoiling" it, though I would assert that claim is inherently circular. I believe I've disproven K&N's claim that overoiling a filter and subjecting it to 1000 CFM dislodges no oil. A 2.9L doesn't generate anywhere near that airflow.

K&N has a vested interest in lying about this issue.

Last edited:

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
K&N

Been using one in my 88 2.9 EFI for two years, mostly off road and have NO complaints. There IS no power increase by just changing filter brands when using the FACTORY AIR BOX, just the convenience of a good reusable filter.

I have a "cold air induction" system with a K&N filter in my Suburban with a "cat-back" exhaust and there IS a noticeable difference in power.

05level2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Had a drop in for a while on my 4.0 didnt notice any hp gains. Then installed the polished 77 series cold air intake and noticed it gave it some kick. Been running that for over a year with no problems. Put on cat back flowmasters and the two work great together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals