• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Mazda B2500 issues - clutch/tranny and coolant loss

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

Just bought a 99 Mazda B2500, 5 speed. It has 145k miles, clean as a whistle inside and out. I drove it, ran great. Drove straight as an arrow, shifted through all the gears great. And now...

When it's still cold/it hasn't warmed up yet, it shifts like it just came off the factory floor. Very smooth. However, when it warms up a little bit, it doesn't shift QUITE as smooth. It'll still find the gear without grinding, just not nearly as smooth. It can be a little more difficult downshifting into second, but not always. Am I over-thinking this one? Complaining all though it still shifts? Low fluid in tranny (I'm going to check this tomorrow)? Worn synchros?

The other thing I've noticed is that if I coast in neutral up a stop light or sign and come to a complete stop on a flat surface (where I'm not rolling in either direction) and I push the clutch in to get back into first, it can be a real bitch to get back in. Is this just a worn pressure plate? First gear synchro starting to go out? Now, if I'm on a slight incline and I push the clutch in and I start to roll, it'll find first fine. It's just when I'm on a level surface. Also worth noting, I've been checking the clutch master cylinder reservoir for any fluid loss, still at the same level (hasn't lost any of the course of the week).

Lastly, it's losing a small amount of coolant. I went and checked it (I've owned it a week now) and it has lost about 1/4" in the reservoir. It's not leaking any coolant externally (none dripping on the ground). I've been checking the oil religiously, looking for any graying, snot-like consistency to make sure it's not a head gasket, oil looks great (nice and clean). Maybe a small pinhole leak in a hose? I'm going to replace those soon regardless. Maybe a small crack in the radiator cap? I've got one I'm going to put on tomorrow. I'm not thinking heater core, as the carpet is not wet at all on the inside. I crawled underneath, and absolutely dry as a bone, I can't see any trace of a leak. Maybe it was just crappy coolant and it's evaporating? I really don't know, I'd just like to know where this coolant is going...

Any help/insight would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post. Thanks!

Last edited:

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Same Here

I've got a 1998 B2500 manual too with 145Km on it.
It is what I learned stick on and I've always assumed that it wasn't letting me shift down because it was 'speed regulated.' (So I couldn't jam it into first when I was going to fast)

jay_yz250

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
2.4 L
Transmission
Manual
I had that same problem in my B2500 try bleeding your slave cylinder on your tranny or maybe it needs to be replaced. mine worked great after bleeding it.

ap3x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When my truck is hot (more in the summer) it can be a bitch to get back into first like that. I read that the pilot bearings have a tendency to stick or something (I don't know too much about trans's) and I just deal with it and I'll replace when I need a clutch. Could be the same in your case.

krad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I'm new here. Have a bit of a problem hope you can help with. Have a 1999 mazda b2500 5 speed replaced the clutch. Fly wheel. Throw out bearing. Slave cylinder. and bleed the system. And we cannot get the clutch to engage; no clutch pressure. What could cause this? What else could have happened during the process?

noslofiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if the trans wont go into 1st. at a dead stop, most likely the sycros for 1st. are worn, or u need to bleed the system to get full extension on the slave cylinder. mine doesnt like to go into 1st. either at 250k miles. so just put it into 2nd. then go to 1st.

krad....sounds like u still have air in the clutch system or u put the clutch disc in backwards. check that u have pressure at your slave cylinder first, and if that checks out then proceed to pulling the trans back out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals