Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 08-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
5ohRanger

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
5ohRanger is on a distinguished road
Default 5r55e p0741 after new tcc

So I've read until my brains are falling out now and figured I'd make a post. I have a 99 4.0 ranger with the 5r55e. The truck only has 108k miles on it. On the way home from buying it the od light started flashing so sure enough it was the p0741 code so I did a new filter and new tcc solenoid with around 4-4 1/2 quarts of fresh fluid. It seemed to have fixed it but on my first long drive the problem is back. Here is what gets me to thinking... if I am hard on the throttle and get up to higher speeds before the tcc trys to do its job it seems to not have as much problem locking up the torque converter as it does as 55-60 so I came home and did some more reading to find out I should had replaced the EPC solenoid while I was in there. Do you guys think this is my problem? I hate to just keep throwing parts at it cause I'm wanting to do a manual swap but hoping this thing will get me by for a while until I round up a donor truck. Thanks fellas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
5ohRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
sheltonfilms

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger 2.5L
sheltonfilms will become famous soon enough

I had that code and it was the torque converter. Only had 30k miles on reman one.

Easy to diagnose since it also had an awful sound when in gear and stopped.

If reverse works then I donít think it would be an EPC as reverse uses the most pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sheltonfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:52 AM   #3
5ohRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltonfilms View Post
I had that code and it was the torque converter. Only had 30k miles on reman one.

Easy to diagnose since it also had an awful sound when in gear and stopped.

If reverse works then I donít think it would be an EPC as reverse uses the most pressure.

Reverse does work just fine. Also I forgot to mention that the torque converter works flawlessly when the trans is cold. After about 10-15 minutes of driving is when it starts to act up. Also coming through Mexico this morning I hit the speed limiter which complete made my engine die and had to throw it in neutral and start it back? Maybe unrelated completely but the revs fell down even though it was taching 4k or so when it shut off? Also I tried putting the trans in 1st at low speeds and seeing if it would hold back and it does. Maybe I need to do a pump and fill to get all the old fluid out? Thanks

Old 08-13-2018, 06:16 AM   #4
sheltonfilms

Hmmmm could have part of the valve body gasket gone bad. Once warmed up parts move enough to leak.

I usually like to see whatís going on with a scan tool.

TCC is a modulated solenoid so it has a duty cycle (0-100%). When itís time to engage it ramps up the apply pressure to eliminate the slip ratio between input shaft and engine rpm.

When I look at this condition I usually graph those two and see how the slip ratio changes once TCC modulation starts.

Forscan can do it.

Here is my post showing what mine looked like bad vs good.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drive...ar-solved.html

Old 08-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
5ohRanger

Quote:
Hmmmm could have part of the valve body gasket gone bad. Once warmed up parts move enough to leak.

I usually like to see whatís going on with a scan tool.

TCC is a modulated solenoid so it has a duty cycle (0-100%). When itís time to engage it ramps up the apply pressure to eliminate the slip ratio between input shaft and engine rpm.

When I look at this condition I usually graph those two and see how the slip ratio changes once TCC modulation starts.

Forscan can do it.

Here is my post showing what mine looked like bad vs good.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drive...ar-solved.html

Usually when it messes up I can kill the key and turn it back on real quick and the torque converter will do fine for another 5-10 min letting off the throttle and getting back on it. It will actually act perfect but yes the warmer it gets the worse the problem gets seems like. It works perfect when cold. Also have a shudder when taking off in first. I did a burnout this morning accidently while trying to see if first would slip

Old 08-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
sheltonfilms

Are trying to test it at a stand still? (Doing burnout).

You know it only locks up at highway speeds right?

Old 08-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
5ohRanger

Quote:
Are trying to test it at a stand still? (Doing burnout).

You know it only locks up at highway speeds right?

Yes of course! I was trying to see if 1st gear would slip because I feel a shutter when taking off from a stop for a brief second. Two totally different problems I know, I just didn't know if the 2 problems would tie together to help track down the reason for the p0741 code reason I threw it out there

Old 08-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #8
5ohRanger

Tonight on my way home after the trans was good and warm I could tell when the torque converter was having trouble locking up so I would turn overdrive off and get the rpms up just shy of 3k @60mph and hold it there for 5-10 seconds then turn OD back on and immediately it would shift into OD and the torque converter would lock up and do fine. Gonna look around for 12 quarts of trans fluid tomorrow and try the pump and fill method to flush all the old fluid out. Not sure if it'll fix it but doubt it'll hurt it either

Old 08-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
5ohRanger

So after complete fluid change all was good until pulling a trailer and trans got up into 170 degree range then it started flashing the od light again. My guess is a blown valve body gasket?