Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Ranger Axles

Ranger Axles Dana 28, Dana 35, Ford 7.5 & Ford 8.8

Old 08-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Maiawolf

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Supercab 4wd
I use this vehicle for: TBD
Maiawolf is on a distinguished road
Default Rebuilding 96 ranger front end

Learning alot about the TTB front end with lots of mistakes... Anyway I have a bent right side axle Beam (got to figure that out) but I found the bolts are missing for the upper and lower radius arm and coil.. (messy garage)

any suggestions out side the local junk yard? and while your thunking on that any ideas on the best way to straighten a slightly twisted axle beem?

thanks
Maiawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 08-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
Denisefwd93

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 4X4
I use this vehicle for: daily driver maybe off road someday
Denisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura about

We basically rebuilt my four-wheel drive 93 front end ttb. Seems very simple, although the hardware is very large and I physically needed help with that stuff.

you can probably find the whole front assembly easier than getting the radius arm. You just want to make sure it has the same ratio your front end has.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
cstarbard

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger
cstarbard is on a distinguished road

How badly bent is the axle beam? Is it twisted? Dented? Just not sure what you meant by bent

You might be able to coerce one back to normal with a torch and some patience, but the heat could de-temper the beam and isn't the best idea considering what is at risk if the beam failed, at least in my opinion

In terms of other ways to straighten it, you might be able to use jacks and presses, but for all the labor and risk involved with that it would be better to just get a replacement beam that you can see is undamaged and true

By right side you mean passenger side, correct? If so you shouldn't have to buy the whole front assembly, with both beams. No need to change the driver side beam unless you have to or that is the side you mean is bent, getting the differential on and off, gasketed, lined up, is really quite a pain, finding a beam with your ratio may not be super easy either depending on the ratio, the cross bolt holding the diff in place will not come off with radius arm in place also, something to keep in mind if thats actually the side you need to fix

Like Denise said it is simple enough to work on just very heavy and awkward. You may want to check that your radius arm hasnt become twisted or damaged as well

Honestly, removing the axle beam in a junkyard would be easier to do in a sense, just remove with the radius arm attached, and now you would get a good beam, radius arm, and your missing hardware (yikes!)

Last edited by cstarbard; 08-11-2018 at 06:37 PM.
cstarbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Denisefwd93

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 4X4
I use this vehicle for: daily driver maybe off road someday
Denisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura about

Think I'd just have a yard cut the front frame off a 4wd truck with the right ratio ttb, probably take them all of 10 minutes
Old 08-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
cstarbard

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger
cstarbard is on a distinguished road

I suppose that's true, maybe it would be cheaper?

If so as long as you have a way to get it spare parts arent a bad thing
cstarbard is offline   Reply With Quote