• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gear ratio help

mhuchel14

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 ranger, with a V6 4.0L. I recently upgraded to 33s from the stock 215s, and the acceleration / MPG is horrible. I mostly drive side streets, and was planning on upgrading to a 4.56 gear ratio from the 3.55 stock ratio. I was wandering how to do this, and what to buy. I do not want to get a whole new axle, because I am trying to same some money. I also do not want to put on an explorer axle because it seems a little too hard for me right now. any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
- Michael

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You won't be able to replace the gears yourself, it's an indepth job that requires some knowhow...

Your acceleration and gas mileage is most likely not as bad as you think, your speedometer and odometer are most likely around 20% off, take your gas mileage and multiply it by 1.2 and you'll get your current mileage, same with your speed.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You have effectively reduced torque to the ground by 16% just in tire diameter difference, then there is the added weight to get rolling and more rolling resistance with a larger and wider tire. The 3.53 gearing is now effectively about 2.96 :dunno: 4.56 are a bit low and you'll spin it fast and loose mileage on the highway. 4.10 or 4.30 would be better.................You might find help in a local 4x4 club, takes some special tools and knowledge to set gears up right.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160460&highlight=gear+change+tire

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IMO the easiest route would be to go back to a smaller tire until you can swap the rear axle, housing and all, and the front pumpkin from the same year truck that has 4.10 gears already installed. 4.10 gears and 31" tires were perfect in my situation. If your'e willing to spend the money for new gears then lower gears can be put in your axles.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2X4 or 4X4?? Unless you really know what you are doing, a gear change on a 2X4 is big money. A 4X4 is really big money since you have to do both ends of the truck.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Personally, I find trying to save money and modifying my truck are as far apart as can be...smaller tires will save you money all around...you may not be as highly ranked status wise with small tires, but you will be farther ahead in the long run...

I'd agree with Scott90 that your speedo is off and not indicating actual speed so not to worry about that too much...if you want to stay with the bigger tires...but I went to a 14" rim after playing swapping into 15" rims...and that change cost me quite a bit initially...threw my speedo off by 10km/hr and made me think I was going slower than I was...

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I just went through switching to 33" tires and 4.56 gears. The 4.10 gears I had work great with 31" tires but sucked with the 33" tires. Sure I could get by with it but I wanted a combination that worked right. I had the 4.56 gears installed and they are perfect for the 33" tires.

I still run 31" tires on the road and 4.56 gears are too low for those tires. It sill works OK and has awesome acceleration but highway driving is not so great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals