• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom Tuned 2.3?

copenranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm entertaining the the thought of ordering a SCT programmer that also comes with 3 custom tunes for my Duratec. http://www.morepowertuning.com/2005ranger23sf3
Has anyone ever thrown a tune at one of these motors? Results? Ideas? Opinions? I obviously know there are not going to be any big gains but i am looking for a noticeable difference in economy, and shifting performance.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

copenranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay thanks a lot i can tell its not a popular motor to tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as I can tell, the duratec responds pretty well to some tuning, but you don't see many people spend the money to do it. There are plenty of modded Duratecs in other platforms too, but they dont make very many Ranger duratec specific parts.

Last edited:

copenranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Thats awesome to hear. I figured that those focus guys had to be able to mod something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The good news with the duratec, is that even though there aren't many Ranger specific parts, the other vehicles have tons of aftermarket support. Between the focus, miata, and MazdaSpeed3 guys, just about everything has been done. It's also really popular for kit cars, and some European race cars.

There are tons of options for performance cams, cylinder head upgrades, individual throttle bodies, even dry sump oiling setups. Be prepared to pay for the really racy stuff though. On the easier, and less costly end of the spectrum, you can get air intakes from K&N and Volant (only 01-03 trucks though), MSDS makes a header, and focus guys have some underdrive pulleys that will work for the Ranger. You can also try eliminating the factory clutch fan if you have a truck with AC, and just use the electric cooling fan. Any cat back exhaust for a a Ranger would work too.

There's also a big OL' pile of Duratec knowledge and info over at turborangerforum. You should check it out. Reading over there taught me so much about the Duratec/MZR engines. I highly recommend browsing around over there.

Jeweler54

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm running MPT's 91 octane tune with AFE cold air intake and Flowmaster exhaust and my truck's pretty quick... http://youtu.be/MeaKFMzkoNI

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals