• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A little help.

Squirrelly McNuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I went from a 07 Ranger to an F-350 a year ago because I need to tow my 5th wheel camper. I got really good deal on it which is why I went so big but now I have wreaked the F-350 and would really like to go bake to a ranger. I missed my ranger so badly after I traded it in. However I need to be able to tow my 5th wheel. Now it weighs 4,000 lbs. According to what I have read from Ford, in theory, a ranger with a 4.0 should be able to tow it. Now I am not an idiot so I understand this is not likely a good idea but I only use the 5th wheel 3 to 4 times a year tops. So here are the questions:

1) How bad of an idea is this really?
2) Is there better years and/or engines I should look for this?
3) What mods would help me do this better? Bigger brakes and helper springs seem obvious to me.

Also I am looking for an extended cab and a stick in the truck. Yes I know auto is "safer" but I love my sticks and I know how to tow with them. If anyone has one for sale for around $3k and is near Syracuse, NY let me know.

And if that is not enough for you... I plan on adding a v8 and an 9in the truck I get. Depending on how it dose.

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Well I suppose all this depends upon the gross weight of the trailer and especially the frontal area. The frontal area is what will kill your truck on the highway. That's where the horsepower or lack thereof will be most significant. I can't think that a 5th wheel would be that light... I have towed 8900# cargo box trailers with my Ranger. I have a '96 with a 4.0, 5sp, 4x4 (Splash) and 3.27 gearing. Normally even on the interstate when I'm towing I do not run the OD and with the 3.27 gearing 4th gear works very well. The only issues with a heavy trailer and high gearing is taking off especially on a hill or difficult situations where you might find yourself camping off road.
That being said, towing my '95 Cougar on a flatbed trailer was a joy because of very little frontal area. The 6300# I found was about perfect heavy weight for the truck. I just think you might find it difficult to pull a gooseneck with a large frontal area without going with a bit more horsepower.
If you are only pulling 3 to 4 times a year it may not be a big deal depending upon how far you are running and where. 55 mph highways would be your friend and interstate traveling may be a bear.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Trailer brakes will be a 100% must have. I'm sure the camper already has them, so you will need to add a controller to the truck.

Like Ruff said frontal area is going to be the big issue.

A V8 swap may or may not help you out here. If you buy something with a 4.0 SOHC and plan to swap a 5.0, there is little to be gained there. The 5.0 is not any stronger than the 4.0 SOHC. A 9" swap is ok, but the 31-spline 8.8 is stronger in the spots that count and the 8.8 will bring disc brakes, and is easier to get and install.

Frankly, I think I would be buying an F-150 in this situation.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You would need a 4.0l with automatic trans to legally tow 4,000lbs, tops out at 5,500lbs
2001 or newer will have the 4.0l SOHC engine which has 207 horse power, so better than the older 4.0l OHV with 160 HP

Manual trans tops out a 3,200lbs, legally

The legal part covers you in case of an accident, insurance companies are always looking for a way out, don't give it to them :)

And as said above, that 4,000lbs trailer will push around the 3,300lbs Ranger, so good trailer brakes are a must.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals