• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"March" Serpentine Drive Brackets?

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone used them?

HERE is a list of their products

I want to convert my late 70's 302 block to serpentine drive. I have debated getting the front dress off a fox body, but have been looking at March products for a cleaner, simpler look (since i'm only running PS and ALT.)

Couple questions

-Although THIS ALT bracket says 86 and later, it should fit my block, correct? Also, since it has a tensioner, i don't need a regular one? (the spring loaded kind with its own pulley)

-Do i need a different harmonic balancer to run serpentine pullies? (old pic, but the best i have)

-hopefully a fox body water pump will bolt to my timing cover.

any help is much appreciated! :icon_thumby:

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
IIRC, pre-93 stang pumps will work because they use the older timing cover (i think!) with the hole for the mechanical fuel pump.

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
good question, im lookin into the same set-up for my 79' 302 someone will know the answer for sure..

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Anyone used them?

HERE is a list of their products

I want to convert my late 70's 302 block to serpentine drive. I have debated getting the front dress off a fox body, but have been looking at March products for a cleaner, simpler look (since i'm only running PS and ALT.)

Couple questions

-Although THIS ALT bracket says 86 and later, it should fit my block, correct? Also, since it has a tensioner, i don't need a regular one? (the spring loaded kind with its own pulley)

-Do i need a different harmonic balancer to run serpentine pullies? (old pic, but the best i have)

-hopefully a fox body water pump will bolt to my timing cover.

any help is much appreciated! :icon_thumby:
Depends on what year you take the FEAD from. Starting in 86, Ford revised the timing cover to better direct the pump flow into the block for the reverse pump. The Crown Vic/Towncar/Marquis kept the older timing cover and std pump. You cannot use the newer 50oz balancers on your 70's motor, it's a 28 oz/in balancer. As long as your balancer has the same pulley offset, it's fine with the sepentine setup. The 79-85 reverse pumps bolt to the older timing cover, but the coolant flow is somewhat restricted. (that's why Ford revised em in 86) The 86-91 Crown Vic setup uses a flat serpentine belt (2 actually) but keeps the std rotation pump. The pump was changed to aluminum in mid 88. This is the setup I used on my Ranger (but with the iron pump) The 331 in my 77 Comet uses the aluminum pump. http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/baddad457/

Last edited:

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
You can get simpler brackets than that.
The alt bracket is fine, using the turnbuckle tensioner.

But that PS pump bracket is still using the Mustang pump bracket large curved aluminum piece, then the "ac eliminator" hardware to hold that in place.
EDIT:
This thing:

Other companies make a sexy PS pump bracket that is one piece, looks like the alt bracket, and has no big ugly tensioner on it.

No need for the big tensioner when the turnbuckle is used.

Ebay has this stuff for $100-ish per set. I bought one, but it showed up with spacers for a standard rotation water pump, wouldn't work with my reverse rotation setup.

Last edited:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used all the crap from the Vic donor.
Use the Alt. to adjust the serp belt.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Other companies make a sexy PS pump bracket that is one piece, looks like the alt bracket, and has no big ugly tensioner on it.

thanks for the help everyone! got any links for a one piece PS bracket? i've been searching through jegs, about to go over to summit. I've never bought off ebay before, i always hear bad stories of getting ripped off.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the help everyone! got any links for a one piece PS bracket? i've been searching through jegs, about to go over to summit. I've never bought off ebay before, i always hear bad stories of getting ripped off.
One piece? late 80'd Crown Vic. The P/S and Alternator mount to the same bracket. pics in my photobucket site http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/baddad457/ Look on page 4

Last edited:

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yea, that's why I went with it. A lot simpler setup if all you're going to run is the P/S and Alternator. The A/C setup that went with this is the monstrosity LOL. It ran off the inner crank pulley, but hung way out in right field all the way to the battery. I'm sure something less spacious could be devised for the A/C if you really wanted to. The Smog pump was also paired with the A/C on that belt. Only catch on my 89 was lengthening the alternator wiring, mine originally(V6) had the alt. on the passenger side.

Last edited:

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, that's why I went with it. A lot simpler setup if all you're going to run is the P/S and Alternator. The A/C setup that went with this is the monstrosity LOL. It ran off the inner crank pulley, but hung way out in right field all the way to the battery. I'm sure something less spacious could be devised for the A/C if you really wanted to. The Smog pump was also paired with the A/C on that belt. Only catch on my 89 was lengthening the alternator wiring, mine originally(V6) had the alt. on the passenger side.

all i will be running is PS and ALT. i'll be dropping the coin for a "one wire" alt to clean up the engine bay even more. after looking at tons of belt routing, brackets, and other stuff, i like that vic setup the best. now i just have to find the brackets, haha. very hard to find anything that old with a motor still in it around here.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
waiting for my membership to be approved on a crown vic website. hopefully i can post a "want ad" there, and find one for a decent price.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The same setup was used from 86 til 91 in the Vics, Towncars and Marquis with the 5.0. You might be able to pick up the whole car for less than you'll pay for the setup piece by piece. That way you'll get the roller block, oilpan (same as the Mustang pan) transmission (AOD or AODE)and lots of other stuff that's usable in a swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals