• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new to me 86 Ranger Diesel

longbedGTs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently got myself an 86 Ranger Diesel and am wanting to find out what this motor is capable of and what sort of things I should inspect/replace. This is Ranger #14, but never had one with the 2.3 Turbo Mitsubishi engine so I'm in the dark. I know these are interference engines, so I'll be looking closely at the timing belt. Any other problem areas? What kind of MPGs are these capable of and how is the power? How much boost do they run stock? I see they are rated for 86HP/134TQ. The truck is optionless other than being equipped with A/C and has a 4 piece rear sliding window. Were power steering and power brakes an option? It has both.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
neat.

the engine is known as a 4d55. google it up...

overseas its common. there are plenty of parts you just have to be creative....
idaho diesel forum or something like that has a decent following of them...the later 4d56 has some interchangable parts

theres some kids in pa that have tweaked up versions...not sure how far they made it. dont recall them posting here. i did not make it back to that area yet, has a truck i want to buy...its a 2.9 though...real good shape. but his 2wd 4d55 scoots like a mofo.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Theres a 0-60 video of one on youtube. Its not to awful slow. I would expect it to pull a bit better then a gas 2.3, not as good as a 2.8.

MPG pry high 20s.

EDIT...

Video link...

https://youtu.be/QKhaEYFJ9qc

Last edited:

longbedGTs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh, wow...the 0-60 isn't too bad. Thanks for that link rusty...never seen that one before. Saw the one with the 2.2 Perkins 0-60...and was reminded of the '84 I had 11 years ago. Painfully slow. I haven't got the truck yet btw...it is being shipped from Minnesota, but wanted to get an idea of what I'm in for once the truck arrives. I also want to run it on veggie oil at some point. Should be a neat project. The guy said it gets around 25mpg, so I was kind of surprised to hear that. My 88 GT with 4.10 gears gets 25mpg, so I'd think a smaller motor making less HP would get better mileage.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Oh, wow...the 0-60 isn't too bad. Thanks for that link rusty...never seen that one before. Saw the one with the 2.2 Perkins 0-60...and was reminded of the '84 I had 11 years ago. Painfully slow. I haven't got the truck yet btw...it is being shipped from Minnesota, but wanted to get an idea of what I'm in for once the truck arrives. I also want to run it on veggie oil at some point. Should be a neat project. The guy said it gets around 25mpg, so I was kind of surprised to hear that. My 88 GT with 4.10 gears gets 25mpg, so I'd think a smaller motor making less HP would get better mileage.
You gotta think how much harder that little 85hp diesel is working to push the ranger compared to the mighty 140hp 2.9 lol.

But no, i was shocked how quick the little mitsu diesels would scoot.

That perkins though...it sounds cool, like a mini-me 6.9, but good god ive seen faster lawn mowers.

longbedGTs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should be putting this thing into DD use within the week. Here's a pic of the sticker on the drivers side window. Yeah, they stuck it on the window! I'd like to get the windows tinted, but don't really want to tear the sticker off though. Strange place to put this.

https://i.imgur.com/VMANOAG.jpg

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
cool. good place to put it for noobs if they are smart enough to read it.

the kid in pa, his was ridiculously fast. probably 6-7 sec 0-60.

rip tires off no problem. quicker then any stock trucks by a long shot of that era.

probably not the best on mpg though as it smoked pretty good. i dont remember the particulars but did quite a bit to it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals