• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My compression test, help!

Bapfoutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so after I replaced head gasket and all the seals truck wouldn't start. So I did fuel test and it was 36 psi. Then did compression test
cylinder 1 - 40 psi
Cylinder 2 - 55 psi
Cylinder 3 - 150 psi
Cylinder 4 - 120 psi
Cylinder 5 -145 psi
Cylinder 6 - 110 psi

None of them are leaking air, so does it mean 1 and 2 the rocker arms are not torqued all the way or does it mean the valves are sticking? And cylinder 6 is alittle lower, any ideas for the three compressions?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'99 fuel pressure should be 65-70psi.
You need to cycle the key on, count to 3, and off, 3 times to get true pressure

Compression test needs to be done with all spark plugs removed and throttle propped open(put something on the gas pedal :) )
Yes your results could be from poorly adjusted valves.
With spark plugs removed rotate crank manually so TDC mark is at 0deg

Check if both #1 valves are closed, if one is open, rotate crank 360deg back to TDC, both #1 valves should be closed now.

That is A position in this guide: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/diagrams/30_valverockerarm.gif

Follow it

Torque 32Nm = 24ft/lb

Bapfoutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll check the fuel pressure again after I Get better readings on cylinders, I did take air filter hose and opened throttle with a wire with sparks out while doin compression. I'll do tdc again soon when weather clears up, I do have a problem seeing the markings for tdc I have a fan in the way and all I can get to is the crank pully how do I get to the timing chain?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But it would be best to get underneath crank pulley find the line and mark it with white or light color paint.
Picture here of the 3.0l TDC marks: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/81760-crank-mark-tdc.html

If you can't see the TDC line then you just need to do the cylinders one at a time.
Remove both valve covers
Crank turns clockwise, put a socket on it, rotate crank while watching #1 valves, you should see #1 push rods going up and down, spin the crank a few times until you see the rhythm of the up and down, there will be a obvious "gap" when the push rods don't move, that's the spot you want, both valves are closed so the cylinder can fire.

When crank is in that "gap" you can loosen #1 rocker nuts and then re-tighten as per spec, 24ft/lbs, loosen the nuts and wiggle the rocker and push rod making sure rocker is seated and push rod is in the center of lifter(you can feel it).
Tighten rocker nut to 24ft/lb
You should still be able to spin the push rod, with a little effort, with your fingers.

Rotate crank 120deg clockwise, 1/3 of a turn, now do the same on #4 valves.
Repeat 120deg turn for the rest of the cylinders using the firing order 1-4-2-5-3-6

Bapfoutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks a lot for the help! I'll do this sometime this week and try to get better readings. Will let you know if I got it! Thanks again!

Bapfoutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
okay so i took the valve covers off and re-torqued the rockers didn't see a difference in the turn, re-gap spark plugs. did another compression test it was like 40 psi in cylinder one, 50 when i did wet test. so i don't know whats going on with the valves, the psi doesn't move down after test.

i hooked everything up. cranked it and it wanted to start so i hold the pedal down and it started! but it was a hard start, now i see rough idle,Enigine shakes , and a small back fire when i hit gas. the engine doesn't shake as bad if i push gas half way down.

any ideas after this?

i really hope i don't have to replace the valves...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The cylinders with 40 and 50psi can not fire at startup, or at idle, it is physically impossible, compression needs to be above 100psi for the air/fuel mixture to be ignited with a spark.
When you rev the engine the compression will come up a bit so those cylinders may begin to fire now and then which is why is smooths out, back firing could be the unused excess fuel from non-firing cylinder going into the exhaust manifold and then being ignited by the hot exhaust from a working/firing cylinder.

The compression is needed to pre-heat the air/fuel mix so a spark can ignite it, compression = heat, without enough compression(heat) the spark can not start the 'explosion' in the cylinder.

Last edited:

Bapfoutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is that greener site a joke? So Ron should I replace the valves? Or rockers? The truck ran fine before I took engine apart except the over heating.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is that greener site a joke? So Ron should I replace the valves? Or rockers? The truck ran fine before I took engine apart except the over heating.
Well, I can't really say.
Did you remove the timing chain?

Valves and seats don't just start leaking.
Piston rings are the same, they don't just fail.

So best guess, and it IS a guess, is that rockers are either to tight so valves are not closing or to loose so not enough air is coming in.

Compression is way to low for a head gasket leak, assuming there was a goof in the install, I could see a 20-30psi drop maximum, not a 100psi drop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals