• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 has the whine on cold starts

bizarro302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
it's not rocket appliances
I believe it's the infamous camshaft synchronizer. Sounds like it's coming from the back. I get a slight hesitation.... Almost stall. Taking off in 1st for the first minute or two....then the whine goes away after she's warmed up.

I don't have a cel on, and no missing at high rpm. The whine doesn't get louder with revs just stays the same.

In all the tech articles I've read they are mostly centered on the 95+ distributor less models. Is the cam synchro shaft on the 94 the distributor? I can't find the part anywhere, and this seems like the logical reason why.

I'd just rather be sure before dropping a c note on a new one. It's at almost 99k miles so I should replace it anyhow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals