• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Want More Power

JLuokks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 and 2000
Make / Model
Mazda and Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just bought my second 3.0l v6. I have two currently now in my name and I want to know if there is any way to get more power from the engine. More hp, more torque, Its manual 4wd. I wanna know peoples opinions and thoughts on everything I can do to this engine besides blowing the thing up with a turbo.

kamps989

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Put 4:10 gears in your rear end is probably the only thing that will make a large difference. I think that my underdrive pulley is probably the best thing besides that, but don't expect huge results with it (and I don't know where you can buy that anymore).

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in the same boat as you (3.0) but am pretty happy with what I have (4.10s). I thought about the under-drive pulley but, as kamps mentioned, it may be NLA. I'm going to ditch the stock cooling fan for a Derale unit (and controller). I think that's about the best you can hope for (w/o spending boatloads of cash).

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Trying driving something that isn't a truck body with a car engine. That's your best bet.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Boost really is the best hp/$ that you'll get for the 3.0.

If you're totally against forced induction, you can do roller rockers or cam regrinds; lots of porting/polishing; headers; exhaust; underdrive pulley; efan conversion; and a tune.

01b3000ds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Have you considered, rather than MAKING more power, get more of it to the road? find and reduce parasitic powertrain losses (like slippage where things should stick and friction where things should be slick).
How's your compression? any vacuum leaks? what about your power system, grounds in good shape?
General maintenance and repair can make a big difference...and can be a stepping stone to effective high performance mods.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Underdrive crank pulley and e-fan would be a good start. Don't expect a night and day difference with mods on the 3.0. 10-15hp and equal torque is all you're going to find without spending a fortune.

01b3000ds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yes, and EGR delete/defeat, then the Hot water Bypass (if your ride has an aluminum intake manifold; no need if it's composite). Port and polish of upper and lower intakes gets air in smoother. All of these contribute to a cooler/denser air charge.

I've also seen/heard of a PCV re-route to preserve intake manifold vacuum (T it into the breather line, and then cap the source on the intake manifold - shouldn't -some say doesn't; I agree- contravene EPA, because the gasses are still getting routed back into the engine; just at a different place than the designers intended).

There's also the throttle cable mod, so that your throttle plate is truly wide open when your pedal is mashed to the floor.

have we mentioned a cooler thermostat? 180 degrees rather than stock 195 helps. (Pair this with Underdrive Pulley)

31s with my 4.10 made a tangible difference...make sure you get your ECU re-flashed so speedo/odo is correct; your tires won't be making as many revs per mile.

you can also play with your spark plug gap (increasing it to advance timing).

None of these should trigger a MIL/CEL, putting your ride into limp mode.

Hillyard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I have a set of 1.6 roller rockers for sale if you're interested. Supposedly pretty good gains from them.

Regul8r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
just had my 01 motor rebuilt with a reground cam and JBA headers.
I never drove it or any other 3.0 Ranger so no idea if it is peppier or not. someone who has driven one drove it the other day and said HOLY SMOKE!
So I guess that is good!?
Still looking and doing more to it to get more out of it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals