• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Spin on E-Fan Upgrade

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4, rebuilt from a '91
Transmission
Manual
Hey all...I know this has probably been done to death, but I have been researching doing an e-fan upgrade to my 2.3.

The problem I'm running into is two-fold: First, the "fan temperature switches" advertised as aftermarket parts will not work, due to the 2.3 not having any hole drilled in the engine block to mount this kind of thermal resistor.

Second, I want to use the same signal voltage that the PCM uses to turn on the fan circuit (this would be the SIG RET wire at the ECT; it has a lower voltage reading, due to the ECT's resistance).

Does anyone know if an aftermarket controller could be adapted to use the SIG RET voltage signal, as such a controller uses a thermistor (the radiator probe) to turn on the fan circuitry, and I do not want to use another thermistor, when it would be easier simply to splice into existing wiring?

Has anybody tried to work an e-fan circuit in this fashion, and if so, how did you do it?

PS: I have also the option of using my hood light circuit, as I found out that the switch and wiring off of the connector were corroded and shot. For an e-fan upgrade, this would be a second option for low-voltage power and overall circuit ground.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3rd party temp sensors usually are inserted into the radiator fins, so between the cooling tubes and then you adjust the temp settings for fan relay to activate when that section of the rad gets to a temp high enough for you to want the fan to come on.

Pretty simple.

Next would be upper rad hose insert, basically you cut rad hose and insert a metal tube with a bung hole that temp sender screws into, couple of hose clamps and your good.
Pictures of that here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/volvo_electric_fan.shtml

Problem with using ECT sensor is that anything you add WILL CHANGE the voltage going back to computer, a bad thing, you may be able to build an isolated circuit that just monitors the lines voltage, but quite frankly it would be more time and effort than it is worth.

The more "off-the-shelf" parts you can use the better, because things do break or fail down the road, replacement parts should be handy and available anywhere, thats the key to a good modification, IMO.

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4, rebuilt from a '91
Transmission
Manual
What about using a second ECT? I ask about that because if you mounted it behind the actual ECT, in the heater core hose, then all you would have to do is give one side power, and then give the other your controller wire, which would then activate/deactivate the fan.

Not only that, but I would think, at least for the 2.3, that getting the fitting an ECT sensor fits into would be easier to get from a JY. The last time I was at one, I pulled an ECT sensor that had already been cut out someone left laying around. If using the traditional ECT isn't an option, I *suppose* that the same fitting could be used for an aftermarket thermal switch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals