• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternator fuse keeps blowing

keefgras

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
94 Ranger 2.3 Please HELP! Im desperate, its the number 16 fuse where the yellow and white wire go to alternator and fuse box under hood.It blows as soon as I start the truck. If I unplug the pig tail at the alternator the fuse will still blow. Alternator was just tested and is good. Does the yellow and white wire go anywhere else besides fuse box? I've done all the tests. Any ideals?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I show '94 ranger 2.3l have yellow/white stripe alternator wire going to fuse 20(15amp).
1993 ranger used fuse 16 instead

But none the less if fuse blows the yellow wire has a short, it only goes from fuse to alternator

keefgras

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
ThankYou Ron!!! It probably is fuse 20, right underneath 16. I'm going to try a new alternator pigtail and cut the yellow wire at alternator and before fuse box and replace it. What do you think?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would first use an OHM meter, remove fuse for yellow wire, remove yellow wire from alternator.
Set ohm meter to 5k or similar OHMs then touch one probe to yellow wire connector and the other probe to Ground, 0 ohms or very low ohms means a short to ground in that wire.
Move wire around and see if you can "break the short", ohms will go up very high or meter will show N/C(no connection).
If you can break the short then start unwrapping harness to get to the short.

The reason you want to do this and not just run another wire is because if one wire in the harness is shorting out then wires near it may be suffering the same fate, i.e. there is a reason that wire shorted, could be too near exhaust or got chewed on by a critter, or...........?? don't know but it would be good to find out why it shorted.

Short could even be in/under fuse box

If you don't have and can't get an OHM meter then use a 12volt test light.
Remove fuse
Remove alternator harness
Hook test light to yellow wire and other end to battery +
Assuming yellow wire is shorted to ground the test light should light up
Move wires around to break the short

Last edited:

keefgras

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I do have a meter. Its raining now and I will test it asap and let you know.I did test it but I tested it with volts DC. It was low. Thanks again.Its raining now and I will test it asap and let you know.

keefgras

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Solved

It worked. I put a new pig tail on alternator and that was my whole problem. There were no cracks or burn marks on it. I almost didn't want to cut and splice it. I figured I try that before I ran a new yellow wire. Thanks RonD!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the fix

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals