• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Welder help

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a eastwood 135. It has everything to be able to use gas. I don't have the money right now to buy a new tank "204.00". I want to use flux wire to weld my floor boards on my truck. What if anything do I need to purchase other than flux wire to run flux?

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
I think all you need is some flux core wire. I will stand and be corrected if need be though. Spend a little extra and get good wire. Even my little Northern Induatrial 125 does decent work with good wire.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make sure you get the right size tips for the wire you are running as well. Double check the polarity of the welder as well. Gas and flux are swapped.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, just a good brand of flux core wire(I like to run Hobart brand), ground is + and gun is -.
Hopefully you aren't welding to old, rusty stuff because fluxcore isn't very forgiving on thin metal. Otherwise, even if you get a bottle of straight CO2(should be the cheapest option), it's still way better on sheetmetal than fluxcore.

Otherwise, just be careful...:icon_welder:

BootPowerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'97
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, I run Hobart flux wire in my northern tools flux welder. You'll want to use .030" wire on the thin stuff...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anything works well on these. My dad had a Harbor Freight flux-core welder still in the box he bought a long time ago and never opened. We stopped by there on our way to the Grand Canyon and noticed that the carrier I put my motorcycle on was splitting. I took the $100 welder out of the box, set it up, and fixed the carrier in about 40 minutes. All the little flux core machines are the same, if you don't get a name brand. I have a big Mig and a big stick, Hobart, but his little flux welder was so easy to use, I bought one of those when I got back. I wouldn't pay more than around $100 for a little wire-fed welder. If you aren't going to use gas, don't buy the capability. The wire fed only cable is much more flexible--you can tie it in a knot and it will still feed. As long as all you are doing is steel, just get the flux core, and get the cheap one. The wire size is the same so you aren't doing 1/4" in one pass with a 130amp or whatever with the same size wire. I use the little wire-fed for small things and the stick welder for everything else.

I really recommend getting a stick welder to start with. Those little wire-feds make really nice welds, but often the weld is sitting pretty on top of the work with little penetration. Once the arc is working, you tend to start moving. But that tiny wire and low amps means it's easy to get the arc working, but it isn't going down through the metal very far. Anything that requires strength, I use the 230amp stick on. Really, I only use the wire on very thin stuff. Exhaust pipe and sheet metal. The wire welder needs the metal absolutely clean and uniform because it comes out at a set rate. The stick you can leave in to heat it up and pull back a touch when you need to--much more control. You need the wore feed for thin stuff, but I sometimes use 1/16th rods with the stick and I can weld coffee cans together--or I have, but coffee comes in plastic these days.

If you are building bumpers and welding spring pads and such, you need a 200amp stick. If you are doing work on the body and putting wings back on the yard flamingo, you need the little wire feed.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anything works well on these. My dad had a Harbor Freight flux-core welder still in the box he bought a long time ago and never opened. We stopped by there on our way to the Grand Canyon and noticed that the carrier I put my motorcycle on was splitting. I took the $100 welder out of the box, set it up, and fixed the carrier in about 40 minutes. All the little flux core machines are the same, if you don't get a name brand. I have a big Mig and a big stick, Hobart, but his little flux welder was so easy to use, I bought one of those when I got back. I wouldn't pay more than around $100 for a little wire-fed welder. If you aren't going to use gas, don't buy the capability. The wire fed only cable is much more flexible--you can tie it in a knot and it will still feed. As long as all you are doing is steel, just get the flux core, and get the cheap one. The wire size is the same so you aren't doing 1/4" in one pass with a 130amp or whatever with the same size wire. I use the little wire-fed for small things and the stick welder for everything else.

I really recommend getting a stick welder to start with. Those little wire-feds make really nice welds, but often the weld is sitting pretty on top of the work with little penetration. Once the arc is working, you tend to start moving. But that tiny wire and low amps means it's easy to get the arc working, but it isn't going down through the metal very far. Anything that requires strength, I use the 230amp stick on. Really, I only use the wire on very thin stuff. Exhaust pipe and sheet metal. The wire welder needs the metal absolutely clean and uniform because it comes out at a set rate. The stick you can leave in to heat it up and pull back a touch when you need to--much more control. You need the wore feed for thin stuff, but I sometimes use 1/16th rods with the stick and I can weld coffee cans together--or I have, but coffee comes in plastic these days.

If you are building bumpers and welding spring pads and such, you need a 200amp stick. If you are doing work on the body and putting wings back on the yard flamingo, you need the little wire feed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals