• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring diagram for 1990 2.9

doblefcd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am starting a 4.0 engine swap into my 1990 B2. As suggested elsewhere at TRS I obtained the Chilton's manuals for both vehicles, but there it shows no wiring diagram for the 1990 2.9. Chilton's only shows diagrams for the 2.3 and 4.0 for 1990. Do I assume the 2.9 engine wiring and the 4.0 are identical?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used the Haynes manual and it was in there.

There wasnt much splicing involved.

doblefcd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Haynes manual today and it has exactly what the Chilton manual shows, only 2.3L and 4.0L diagrams for 1990. For now I will assume that the 2.9L in 1990 is the same as the 2.9L in 1989 or the 4.0L in 1990, while I look for a definitive answer. I have a retired electrical engineer friend who seems to actually enjoy studying wiring diagrams, so I am certain he can figure it out for me anyway. Thanks.

doblefcd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Evtsm

I picked up the Ford 1990 Ranger/Bronco II Electrical & Vacuum Trouble Shooting Manual as recommended by Psychopete, and it is the answer. I liked it so well that I have ordered one for the 1993 Explorer donor vehicle too. Now with the help of my retired electrical engineer buddy, who can read the diagrams like "Dime Novels", I am ready for the swap. Thanks Psychopete for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals