• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just bought a 3.0 with coolant issues

redneck15431

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all...It's been a very long time since I've posted on these forums. I've been a member about ten years here and have always been in the 4.0 forum posting. So I just bought a 1996 Ranger with the 3.0 and a 5 speed. I know the truck well and knew of the issues before purchasing it. It has had an overheating issue for some time and I think has blown a head gasket and potentially cracked a head as a result. Symptoms are overheating, loss of coolant and coolant blowing out of the exhaust. There is no coolant in the oil. So my best guess right now is that the head is cracked between an exhaust and coolant port. Preparing for the worst, I am planning on replacing the heads, if not then thats all for the better. I am very mechanically inclined, however, I am new to the 3.0 and I am wondering if there is anything I should look out for and things I should do while I have the engine apart. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

redneck15431

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info!

redneck15431

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wanted to post an update and ask a few questions. So I mentioned that there was no coolant in the oil, so that made me question the fact that the head gasket(s) were blown. So first, I decided to pull the plugs and do a compression test. When I went to take out the rear plugs (closest to the firewall) on each side, they were very difficult to get out. I personally replaced these a few years ago and put anti-seize on them, which I thought was very odd. It was almost like they were seizing from the inside. When I got them out, they were very corroded and had a wet residue on them which to me was a clear indicator that both of those cylinders were burning antifreeze.

So I ran the compression test, all cylinders on the drivers side were around 140, give or take 5 pounds. All cylinders on the passenger side were around 150, give or take 5 pounds. All cylinders held pressure and did not leak down. This was done on a cold engine so I was under the impression that the head gaskets were ok. So I began to think that the intake gasket was leaking on both sides.

I removed the intake manifold and carefully inspected gasket surfaces as well as the gasket themselves and saw no indication of the gasket leaking from the water jackets. Can those leaks be that discreet? Is it possible that the heads are cracked on both sides between water jackets and intake side? Or the intake manifold cracked? I am new to the 3.0 and not aware of the weak spots/problem areas associated with these problems. From what I remember, the coolant was not being pressurized, so exhaust gases were not escaping into the coolant. Just looking for some insight, I'm not going to replace the heads/head gaskets if I don't have to, however I am not putting it back together only doing the intake gaskets without being sure that there could be no other underlying issue. Those manifold bolts look quite intimidating with the amount of rust on them :D.

redneck15431

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I successfully removed the passenger side head. All the manifold bolts came right out. Turns out the gasket was indeed blown. It went on one cylinder and just started to leak on another. There was about 3 different size of bolts which was quite annoying. The drivers side is a different story. I removed two bolts with some persuasion, one snapped off which i am not concerned about since I think it left enough for me to remove once the head is out. The bottom three bolts are giving me trouble. I want to remove them without junking them all but I can't seem to get the correct size socket on them. I have tried 12mm, 11mm, 10mm, 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", and nothing will fit tight enough which kinda has me stumped. The 12mm fits the tightest but there is still a bit of slop. Enough to spin on the head of the bolt. The next closest size, 7/16", will not fit at all. 11mm will not fit at all. 1/2" is too big. Am I missing something here? I've never run across anything like this. I'm half tempted to take a socket meant for rounded off bolts and use it but don't want to be impulsive just yet. Any ideas?

I will have to put this project on the backburner for a few days since it is sitting outside and it is to rain. My Mustang is in the garage because of a water leak inside that I have been chasing down. Otherwise, the Ranger would be in there :D.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not familiar with the 3.0. Could the bolts be a different design other than 12 point?

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
May want to weld on a new bolt right on top of the head of the old one to get a correct sized bolt head.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads like you are not the first to take those heads off, 3 different bolt heads????

In any case you should not reuse the head bolts, so just get them off any way you can and toss them.
The head bolts are TTY(torque-to-yeild), as are most head bolts now-a-days :)
TTY provides a better holding pressure for cold and warm sealing, the bolts are stretched when tightened, and will not return to original length when removed, so re-using them is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:

redneck15431

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I bolted the passenger side head back on. Should be all good to go once I clean up the valve springs and everything. I tried once again before it got too dark out to remove those 3 manifold bolts...still no luck. So I think I am just going to have to unbolt the manifold from the Y pipe and pull it out that way. and not even bother with them. The challenge with reinstalling the passenger side head was having a good surface to grab on to without contaminating the deck surfaces with grease and dirt with the manifold still there, so it It may actually leave me at an advantage to have an extra surface to grab on to when I go to reinstall the drivers side head. I think I would save time fighting it that way than potentially snapping off three more bolts that I would have to fight out. But so far it has been easy...just wish the days were longer :icon_twisted:. Hopefully this weekend it'll be running again.

redneck15431

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Almost forgot to mention that I am replacing that cam synchronizer while I have the intake off. Easy access to it and I already purchased the part, so it probably needs it after 148k miles. I have a cousin with a Ranger that had the same issue a few years ago and ended up blowing up his engine. He explained the whole thing to me when it happened back then but I didn't quite comprehend what happened until I noticed some articles/posts on here. This engine never had the squeal or squeak others have mentioned, but I'm not taking any chances. I've seen here and there about some sort of alignment tool for doing this. Is this necessary to have? Seems no different than installing a distributor.

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my exhaust manifold bolts were a couple different sizes... and the rust on some of them had reduced mine to "in between" sizes as well... I think I just took what fit best and made sure I squirted some PB Blaster on them to soak overnight...

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have some 1992 I think, heads if you have a head issue I'd sell cheap if you need em... just keeping them for backup but not doing any good sitting in my attic...

redneck15431

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I got it all back together again today and she is alive and well once again :yahoo:. The only thing left to do is get new exhaust manifold bolts. I bought some from my local Fastenal while buying some other things for work. I knew they were 8mm x 1.25, for those who are curious and for future reference, but I wasn't sure of the length. I ended up buying 35mm long I believe which turned out to be a size too long for the top bolts and way too short for the lower ones. I was able to reuse some of the old ones that weren't too rusted up, but needless to say, the manifolds are leaking pretty bad. I was just eager to get it running again. I plan to go out tomorrow and buy the correct length. Other than that, it runs great.

I did replace the camshaft position sensor which was very easy. The old sensor that bolts on top pretty much fell apart when I took it out. With the sensor removed, I marked the old one in a couple places in a good reference point with a permanent marker before removing it, made the same marks on the new one, properly realigned, bolted it down and it was done.

Thanks again for all the input and advice!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals