• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Global Ranger revisited - again

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

jinxlee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
hard times don't last, strong people do
Looks like the Sport Trac. I'd rather have more bed than interior room. If I had wanted a Sport Trac, I'd have one. I have a Ranger. It works like all get out. I don't understand why Ford stopped selling this truck. Have you looked on the roads, and seen how many Rangers are still on the road? I've had one since 1989. I have had a number of these trucks. My current one is a FX4 off road XLT. I will not get rid of it unless they come out with a new Ranger similar to the one I have now. You just can't beat a Ranger with 4x4.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
F-150's have steadily been growing in size over the last 10 years or so. Today, they have enormous wheelbases and basically no way to configure one a bit smaller. Try building one with just two doors,.. then they put a 8 foot box on it. No matter how you slice or dice it, its huge in any configuration.

The global Ranger is enjoying huge success in 180 countries and our homeland is the only country that does not get it. Even if it were priced similar to the F-150 I believe many would buy the Ranger if they would make available the 5 cylinder diesel that can reach 30 MPG.

Ford will never sell the Global ranger here. And that fact is an admission of how good it is. IMO, it would cannibalize the F-150 because its that good. I can say that being I actually own one and know from real experience that the Australian team at Ford hit a home run on this bad boy. Its easy for people to sit back and say it does not have a prayer against the F-150 when they have not seen, felt, or driven the global Ranger. Unless anyone on this forum has actually driven the new Ranger, I'm not going to take their criticism they have to throw at it seriously. Because its just hypothetical assumptions that have been formulated in their head without really knowing first hand. I know that statement will probably upset somebody here but I don't care. Its all hypothetical mumbo jumbo. In the Fiji Islands the new ford is literally destroying the rooted leader Toyota Hilux and Nissan Navara. Ask anyone over there which truck is best and 90 percent will say the word Ford. Its a status symbol in Fiji to drive a new Ranger. And that's because it provides more HP, Torque and at the same time improving MPG over the competition. At the same time, the others have no where near the ride as the ford. The roads are really bad over there and the ford irons out pot holes, and rough surfaces like butter. Off road and on-road ride is spectacular for this truck. Like I said, you really have to drive one before firing off criticism.

Here is a YouTube showing the ranger pulling out a 160 ton steam locomotive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPMgfdKCeZA

Yes, the 5 cylinder has insane amount of torque. The good news is the ford Transit is slated to get this same engine in the near future in the US. So yes, its possible to federalize the 3.2 diesel. Ford has already committed to that. The F-150 will get a new 2.7 diesel as well. But I have my doubts if it will get the same fuel savings as the new Ranger. If Ford can bring up the combined MPG to 25 with the 2.7 and maybe offer something with a wheelbase of 12 inches less then the current model, then I will buy a F-150. But I'm afraid that's wishful thinking.
Nope, I have not. F-150's have not gotten any bigger aside from them giving more options available. The "build your own" websites are flakey. My '02 is the same as dad's '05 which is an unrefined '14.

The local dealer has several 2dr shortbox F-150's parked out front, I don't know what your problem is.

The diesel I am sure is great... but the EPA would neuter it.

Have you sat inside a new global Ranger? You would be surprised how roomy my Ranger is. Six footers will have no problem in the back seat of a new ranger. And those seats are actually very comfortable. Unlike most mid size trucks, the back is angled back more. This is not your normal frontier/tacoma truck that has horrible back seats. As I have said before, the new Ranger has redefined what a mid size truck can be. Many of the compromises that are usually associated with mid size trucks is not evident in the new Ford. Unfortunately, few Americans have experienced the new Ranger and can only base their biasism on known trucks that do compromise comfort and performance over their full size variants. The tacoma is the best selling mid size truck in American and it gets about the same MPG as the F-150 = epic failure. The Frontier has not been updated in so long that it is no longer relevant. No wonder Americans don't care for mid size trucks... we have nothing remotely worth our money when compared to the full size options that are available.

The problem with the Japanese mid size trucks is they really don't update them. Ford on the other hand, built the new Ranger ground up with all their newest tech thrown at it. Believe me, this truck has the manners of a nice SUV and provides the driver with a sense of luxury while also providing for aggressive off road capabilities. This truck is light years ahead of the American versions of the Tacoma/frontier gas guzzlers with back seats made for back aches. I have a 05 pathfinder and agree, the back seat is absolutely horrid. Thank god I never have to sit back there. Its about the same as the truck version.. although heavier, provides a nicer ride then the frontier.
No I have not again, but you were commenting on the Tacos being the same size as a F-150, and they are not. As I said I have sat in a new one of them and it felt not really much bigger than my '85.

I don't care about the back, my .02 is for the front. I am not shopping for a truck so I can ride around in the back. If I wanted a full 4dr '150 hands down so I can have a bed worth having.

You folks realize there is a bias in N America against light duty diesels right?
Yeah, by the time the EPA doubles their complexity, reduces their fuel economy by half and reliability 3x over nobody wants them.

Last edited:

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
give me my 80's ranger!

So I like the idea of having a basic compact economica ranger. I like the ecoboost V6 they have in the escape and taurus, however they will need to have a Boss 5.0 option to keep everyone happy as well. I think with good design and 4x4 options the new mini truck will be a smash. It's just what so many people want.

They want to save fuel but have their truck too. No one really wants a car truck or a truck car... the full size crew cabs are rediculous and will eventually die out. It's a fad.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They want to save fuel but have their truck too. No one really wants a car truck or a truck car... the full size crew cabs are rediculous and will eventually die out. It's a fad.
They are pretty handy to have though, I dunno if it will die out or not.

For families it is pretty hard to beat. When I was a kid dad added another set of seat belts to his '81 Chevy std cab. Then it seated 4... for a little while. And then mom had to drive separate either by herself or with one of us if the truck was needed to say... pull the camper. Makes it a PITA for a cross country camping trip.

Extended cabs are ok in a pinch but I have to get pretty friendly with the seat in front of me and it is not comfortable at all. The stupid sidesaddle seats they put in a Scab Rangers was a joke.

I don't see them going anywhere for a long time.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I found this picture called a 2016 Ranger. Some site say we are going to get a new Ranger in the USA. Some say we won't.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Definitely not a fan of the styling, but i believe in function determining form and that's mostly what I see there. Pure function.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks stupid. Its all function? Yeah, that,cheesy looking plastic "razorback" sure is functional.... Not.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks stupid. Its all function? Yeah, that,cheesy looking plastic "razorback" sure is functional.... Not.
From the shape of it maybe aerodynamics?

Don't know what the big thrill was of Ford going to aluminum on the new '150's. Didn't save enough weight it justify the extra expense IMO (unless you twist it like they did to weigh a '14 5.0 vs a '15 2.7EB to get 700+/-, a 5.0 to 5.0 is a measily 27lbs lighter)

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Its a truck. That shit isn't gonna do a damm thing but look ugly.

jhammel85

I worry about the future of trucks when it comes to their looks. At least i have an old one to hold on to.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^ yes. They're to bubbly. Its a truck damnit. Not a minivan.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals