• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap IM help

atvnak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i got a 1987 B2 i put a 1992 4.0 in her and now i gotta pass the IM test up here in Alaska. I asked the IM Referee Center about it and they said i need to find some documents that another state passed this swap before. SOOOOOO Please Help winter is coming and i cant drive it past November 1!!!!

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, I thought in general, if you upgraded to a setup that is more efficient than the one you had, it would pass just fine. Did you tell them that you changed anything, or did they figure it out themselves? How did they know?
I'm gong to do this same swap soon, kinda like to know the details...

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By the way, did you document this swap? Pics, details, problems, ect? :)
inquiring minds want to know!

atvnak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, I thought in general, if you upgraded to a setup that is more efficient than the one you had, it would pass just fine. Did you tell them that you changed anything, or did they figure it out themselves? How did they know?
I'm gong to do this same swap soon, kinda like to know the details...
Yeah me too the EPA Regulations say its legal but the Alaska IM rules are reallly frustrating. They wont even do the test if they notice the incorrect engine for the vehicle. I have to somehow show that a 1992 explorer sport (Donar car) is the same frame as a 1987 B2.. Up here you have to goto a different place than normal when you do something like this. As for the swap it was fearly easy the only hard part was mating the 92's wiring to the 87's. Ill post pictures of the B2 when i get a chance

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Darn that alaska IM! need to talk to sarah palin about that.
my donor is a 92 explorer sport as well....hmmm what a quinky dinky. I would love to see details of your swap, especially what you did with the harness. thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't have records per se, but I do know of at least one that has passed like that in PA. One of our members bought it out of Clinton county, which is an IM county in PA, it was a 90 with a 4.0 swapped in. Don't remember the year of the donor, but they were all the same anyway. It had an emissions badge when I saw it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals