• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Explorer Courtesy Lamp Issue

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On the driver's side door courtesy lamp, I changed out the bulb and it still doesn't illuminate and even tried a LED bulb with no luck. Passenger side works fine. I used a multimeter and not getting any power. Looked at the wiring and it looks fine from the cannon plug up until the wire bundle. I tried to take apart that canister looking thing on the driver's side door hinge and no luck getting it off to see if the wire is broken in there Any ideas?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Might be a dumb question, but did you make sure it's +12v you're missing, and not ground? If you are only missing ground in the harness it is obviously a lot easier fix.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well the problem is, I can't get to the wire bundle in the door hinge to see if there's a broken wire in there. The rest of the interior lights, light up just fine. But I will try to find another ground and see if that's the problem then.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Well the problem is, I can't get to the wire bundle in the door hinge to see if there's a broken wire in there. The rest of the interior lights, light up just fine. But I will try to find another ground and see if that's the problem then.
Just put your meter on a known good ground (even the metal bracket under the steering column will work) and check both sides in the socket.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tried another ground and still no luck, so it's not getting power, just don't know where to start looking

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals