Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > Ford Bronco II's

Ford Bronco II's Be sure to check out the Bronco II Corral!

View Poll Results: What's the maximum amount of Body Lift you would use?
0" - No body lift 12 15.19%
1 inch 3 3.80%
2 inches 17 21.52%
3 inches 42 53.16%
4 inches 4 5.06%
5 inches or more 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
LittleBigFoot

Vehicle Year: 79-00
Vehicle Make: Mostly Ford.
Vehicle Model: Rangerish-Broncoish-Truggyish Thing.
I use this vehicle for: The 13th step of the 12 step program.
LittleBigFoot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to LittleBigFoot Send a message via MSN to LittleBigFoot

I pray to buddah your buddy doesn't daily drive that truck with a 6" body lift, boggin. 6" puts shit tons of strain on your bolts. I'd laugh till I got hemroids to see him take a turn and the cab falls off.

There are obviously pros and cons to everything.

A body lift is cheap, kits are durrable, keep a low COG due to the drive train being kept down low, allow room for articulation, gives room for shock towers, gives room to drop some bigger cubes in there, gives room for other transfer case / transmission combos, allows you to change spark plugs and oil filter through the inner fender, gives room for sliders, will not effect your steering (especially with A arm).

I've jumped my truck and never torn off a body mount or sheered a bolt. I've got no beefs with body lifts especially on a 98 and up truck. It's worth it.

With some tube under the cab you can hardly tell it's body lifted.
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 07-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
Zachalanche

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Off road / daily driver / Haulin Dirt Bikes
Zachalanche is on a distinguished road

I have a 2" bl on my 89, and i am very happy with it despite being skeptical at first. I originally put it on because I found out the hard way the a 4" lift wouldn't clear 33s, but since then working on my truck has become much easier (especially changing spark plugs). my rockers don't come in contact with the ground as much and that 2" of lift is incompressible so it keeps my tires off my body (at least it did until I swapped to the wider explorer axles).

The down side is the ugly gaps and my trasfer case shifter is a little harder to operate since it it 2" closer to the floor. I also had to adjust my radiator shroud to keep the fan from rubbing on it. So, that in mind I wouldn't go more than 2 inches.
Zachalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #23
svo_jon

Vehicle Year: 88
Vehicle Model: Ranger GT
I use this vehicle for: Dayly Driver
svo_jon is on a distinguished road

M brother and I both had body lifts on a pre runners and on the same wee end we both hit dunes hard on the nose and the bodies shifted on the frames. On his truck the floor buckled under the drivers foot about 2".

I will never use one on a truck again after this(what would happen in a callission?). I don't know about an SUV due to more mounts holding the same pease of the body to the frame.

To answar the question: As little lift as you need. I think the only reason my truck didn't fare as bad as mu brother's is he had a 3" and I have a 2".

Jonathan
svo_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #24
unclemeat

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Ranger Level II
unclemeat is on a distinguished road

The main disadvantage of a body lift is that it will allow the frame to flex. That can create handling problems, noise and a greater potential to permenantly bend the frame.
unclemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #25
_Kyle_

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer Sport
I use this vehicle for: Wheelin
_Kyle_ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to _Kyle_

I'm not a fan of them particularly. I can see running an inch or two to help clear some tires or something but that's about it - and you could probably just trim and get away with that instead.
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #26
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
The main disadvantage of a body lift is that it will allow the frame to flex. That can create handling problems, noise and a greater potential to permenantly bend the frame.
The frame will flex whether it has a body lift or not. I can get about 1/4" difference between the pinstrips on my truck... which is the same as it had without a bodylift. My dad's '80 F-350 has flexed enough that bed has hit the cab on both sides and it doesn't have a body lift at all.

A BII or Explorer with one solid body would be even less apt to twist.

Check out my Build Thread

Check out my NAIAS Ranger Trip

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote