• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

carb to efi

That.1.guy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
going to be doing a turbo swap soon and was wanting to know the best efi to run its a 83 that came with the 2.0.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Probably the best setup would be to get the tank and lines from an 85-88 2.3 truck, and get the rest of your stuff, engine included, from a T-bird.

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I rather thoroughly examined the option of putting 2.3 EFI gear on the existing 2.0: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175086

I found a complete donor 2.3 EFI engine instead, in the end (not installed yet though). But the discussion in that thread may be useful to you.

I believe significant work needs to be done to make the intake ports match up better before factory 2.3 EFI on the 2.0 would be a working thing, and other concerns. I would second the suggestion to just swap the whole engine unless you want to pick up where I left off.

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The 2.0 was added to appeal to meter-readers and the like, who carried no load, needed only to drive through neighborhoods with frequent stops.
I would not put a lot into a 2.0 Lima. The larger 2.3 and 2.5 are readily available and actually may get better economy and have more power. The 2.0 is overworked when any real load is put on it, so it must be working harder all the time, vs the 2.3/2.5 having more torque and hp, allowing them to be more 'relaxed' rather than near their max effort all the time.
tom

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I may be misreading this, but it doesn't appear to me that the OP wanted to use the 2.0 engine, just convert to EFI and install a 2.3 turbo.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I believe significant work needs to be done to make the intake ports match up better before factory 2.3 EFI on the 2.0 would be a working thing, and other concerns. I would second the suggestion to just swap the whole engine unless you want to pick up where I left off.
While you may be correct about this, the bigger issue in my mind is the significant work needed to be done to make the 2.0 stand up to boost. The forged kind of work.

I may be misreading this, but it doesn't appear to me that the OP wanted to use the 2.0 engine, just convert to EFI and install a 2.3 turbo.
That may be the question that is being asked, but sometimes the answer to the question asked isn't the right answer to the problem.

He asked for the best EFI setup to run with a turbo swap. In this case the correct answer is to ditch the 2.0 completely and find a 2.3T that already has the right guts.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That may be the question that is being asked, but sometimes the answer to the question asked isn't the right answer to the problem.

He asked for the best EFI setup to run with a turbo swap. In this case the correct answer is to ditch the 2.0 completely and find a 2.3T that already has the right guts.
Right - I didn't get the impression he wanted anything to do with a 2.0. Aren't we all (including the OP) essentially suggesting the same course of action - use a 2.3's EFI setup to get the wiring into a Ranger, then a 2.3T for the mechanical side?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Next question is where in Oregon are you? I'm by McMinnville and very familiar with the turbo 2.3L setup...

Don't have the energy to go too into detail right now, but use the fuel injection stuff off of a normal turbo 2.3L, they're pretty simple, I imagine it could be wired into your Ranger without too much trouble. You will need the complete engine wiring harness from something with fuel injection (Ranger, Mustang or Thunderbird) preferably a 2.3L turbo but a NA will work as well. It would be simplest for '85-88 Ranger, I think pre '91 Mustang 2.3L (with a distributor) or '84-87 Thunderbird turbocoupe. The fuel system will need to be modified, will need a high pressure fuel pump and a return line added to the fuel tank somewhere.

That.1.guy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
correct. not using the 2.0. the truck has a 2.3 from a pinto i think. the carb on it needs replaced, so now is a good time to swap for future plans. but looks like any efi will work. project is slow due to budget need to sell some parts first.
also i'm in roseburg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals