• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HID Conversion complete!

SVTCop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Finally got to this little project. Took about 2 hours not counting cure time.

Opt7 35w blitz kit with some mini H1 style projectors.

Ranger HID Headlights-7 by Josh Leach, on Flickr

Stock lights
Ranger HID Headlights-9 by Josh Leach, on Flickr

Projector mounted.

The different is significant to say the least
Ranger HID Headlights-16 by Josh Leach, on Flickr

stock v. projected
Ranger HID Headlights-18 by Josh Leach, on Flickr

Ranger HID Headlights-20 by Josh Leach, on Flickr

Projected down a dark road.
Ranger HID Headlights-21 by Josh Leach, on Flickr

Ranger HID Headlights-22 by Josh Leach, on Flickr

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
It's always a good idea to make sure that you blind oncoming traffic so you can see good.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's always a good idea to make sure that you blind oncoming traffic so you can see good.
I have always felt that way too. What's even more impressive is that I can see the details of the road much better in the before picture.

SVTCop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They are aimed so not blinding anyone.

SVTCop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have always felt that way too. What's even more impressive is that I can see the details of the road much better in the before picture.
Thats because the light didn't wash out the picture, leaving the details intact.

Both shots were taken with the exact same camera settings to illustrate the vast improvement of light.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thats because the light didn't wash out the picture, leaving the details intact.

Both shots were taken with the exact same camera settings to illustrate the vast improvement of light.
If it washed out the picture won't it wash out your vision too?

SVTCop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it washed out the picture won't it wash out your vision too?
My eyes dont take in 3 seconds of light before coming up with a single image. :yahoo:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well, it is quite hard (maybe impossible?) to get a camera to capture an image exactly like how a human eye sees it (leaving the camera on it's automatic exposure settings helps, but it's still not an exact replication).

However, judging by the quite bluish tint of the HID making the halogen look so yellowish, I'm guessing you must've bought 6000°K (or higher) bulbs, which is probably the worst thing you can do, short of going to LEDs.
Most (if not all) OEM HID headlights are closer to the 4000-4500°K range, which your eyes see much better with at night than 6000K, not to mention will create less glare for others too (no, artificial light sources are NOT anything like sunlight regardless of how close the °K rating may be to it... This is due to the spectral output distribution of artificial light sources (other than halogen incandescent) being very different than that of the sun's light).

Keep them aimed properly (and don't haul anything heavy in the bed) and you'll probably be OK in regards to blinding others (I do see a proper (if a little sharp) beam cutoff pattern, similar to many OEM lights). If others start flashing their brights at you though, then you'll need to aim them down lower.

SVTCop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, it is quite hard (maybe impossible?) to get a camera to capture an image exactly like how a human eye sees it (leaving the camera on it's automatic exposure settings helps, but it's still not an exact replication).

However, judging by the quite bluish tint of the HID making the halogen look so yellowish, I'm guessing you must've bought 6000°K (or higher) bulbs, which is probably the worst thing you can do, short of going to LEDs.
Most (if not all) OEM HID headlights are closer to the 4000-4500°K range, which your eyes see much better with at night than 6000K, not to mention will create less glare for others too (no, artificial light sources are NOT anything like sunlight regardless of how close the °K rating may be to it... This is due to the spectral output distribution of artificial light sources (other than halogen incandescent) being very different than that of the sun's light).

Keep them aimed properly (and don't haul anything heavy in the bed) and you'll probably be OK in regards to blinding others (I do see a proper (if a little sharp) beam cutoff pattern, similar to many OEM lights). If others start flashing their brights at you though, then you'll need to aim them down lower.
They look blue in the turn out but thats mostly my camera. I do a lot of photography and I have my camera set up almost in a blue/gray scale. They are 5ks.

I aimed them after I took these shots and its pretty cut and dry now. Went for a drive and didn't get flashed.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, I hate blue. especially when combined with red....lol. Any way, I'm glad you took the time to aim them. Good job.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
My job as a truck driver requires me to drive at night in very dark areas. And I can tell you from experience that it's not all about the adjustment of the lights that makes them really annoying.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Kudos on a proper projector retrofit. I think you did well.

SVTCop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My job as a truck driver requires me to drive at night in very dark areas. And I can tell you from experience that it's not all about the adjustment of the lights that makes them really annoying.
You mean all cars with projectors bother you? Is it the light output?

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
It's not just the projectors. It's halogens as well. There is a reason alot of the lights are labeled as off road only. The problem is that when you are driving in an extremely dark area your eyes get adjusted to the dark. When extremely bright lights are coming towards you it pretty much makes your own lights useless for several seconds. And then it takes several more seconds for them to recover after the car goes by. Under certain conditions it really doesn't matter how they are adjusted at all like a divided hiway and there is a difference in elevation between the lanes.

Now on the other hand it looks like you did a great job on the upgrade and took the time to get the adjustment right. Not a lot of people would have taken the time to do that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals