Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 3.0 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #1
arcwelder

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge
arcwelder is on a distinguished road
Default 3.0 Lower Radiator Hose Replacement Help

Hey Guys,

I need to replace the lower radiator hose on my 2002 Ranger Edge 3.0, and was hoping to get some advice/input on the easiest way to remove and install the smaller branch of the lower radiator hose that goes to the front of the engine (to the water pump(?)), since that area is really tight. Do I have to remove the air intake, serpentine belt, and radiator fan (and maybe more)? Or is it possible to do the job by just removing the serpentine belt, or maybe even by not removing it at all?

Any advice/input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
arcwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 01-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
McCormack

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger
McCormack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcwelder View Post
Hey Guys,

I need to replace the lower radiator hose on my 2002 Ranger Edge 3.0, and was hoping to get some advice/input on the easiest way to remove and install the smaller branch of the lower radiator hose that goes to the front of the engine (to the water pump(?)), since that area is really tight. Do I have to remove the air intake, serpentine belt, and radiator fan (and maybe more)? Or is it possible to do the job by just removing the serpentine belt, or maybe even by not removing it at all?

Any advice/input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
It's tight quarters and takes some patience, but I was able to replace the lower radiator hose on my '00 without removing anything.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
arcwelder

Thanks for the info McCormack. I wasn't able to get pliers to the spring clamp that's up at the water pump from below, and so ended up taking off the air intake and the serpentine belt, but still couldn't get to it. I ended up just buying some flexible wire hose clamp pliers, which I think should do the trick. I'm going to give that a shot this weekend. If that doesn't work, I'll probably be back with some more questions.

Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Rearanger

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Ranger 3.0L
Rearanger is on a distinguished road

Those Ford spring clamps are meant to lock open then just be unlocked with a screw driver on installation.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
arcwelder

Thanks Rearanger, I didn't know that they locked. That's definitely good to know and will make the job easier.

I was planning on replacing the hose this weekend, but I'm unfortunately having trouble getting the truck started, so didn't want to change the radiator hose until the truck is back up running so that I can burp the air out of the cooling system. I'll have to create another thread for that issue since I'm a bit stuck on it.

Thanks again for the help.