Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 01-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #1
AnahRabekka1501

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Supercab
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver. Restoring & Modernizing
AnahRabekka1501 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Rear Brake Rubbing; Help ASAP Please!

So a few years ago the emergency brake was ruined due to someone (I wonít admit to it!) driving the truck with the parking brake engaged. I know, I know, ruined the driver side drum. We replaced it with junkyard components, and everything was good, the parking brake remained disconnected.

Jump to now, reconnected the parking brake, what a bitch that was, three people pulling at once, over two hours, we finally got it. Jump in the truck, on an incline, engage that sucker to the floor, and what do you know? Nada. No parking brake. Well, thatís okay, I just need to get new brake shoes and do a spring rebuild! Well, after all that (took me 5 hours, broke two nails and had a bruised knuckle for a bit), I still have, wait for it... NO PARKING BRAKE!

Well, thatís okay, I just need a new parking brake cable! Easy enough! But my issue now isnít even with the parking brake! My driver side shoes are rubbing incredibly when braking below 25MPH. At higher speeds, thereís zero sign of issue. And it doesnít rub when driving! So please, please tell me that I just need to get a flat head and loosen up the brake shoe adjuster but thing down there. Iím going crazy. I know Iím not the most Ranger-savvy girl out there, but dear god it shouldnít be this much of an issue.

Thanks in advance!
~Anah
AnahRabekka1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 01-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
don4331

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
don4331 is a jewel in the roughdon4331 is a jewel in the roughdon4331 is a jewel in the rough

Anah:

Drum brakes are supposed to be set really close (one of the biggest reason why people think discs are better than drums is when drums don't self adjust, they aren't near as effective). So, if anything, I would tighten up the passenger drum, not loosen the driver's.

Now, the above assumes everything in system is working: No issues with water/rust in brake fluid, no stuck piston in the brake cylinders, parking brake cables slide freely, etc, etc.

Can you take a picture of your parking brake cable routing? I just want to double check...
don4331 is offline   Reply With Quote