Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 01-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
chuckhotrod

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Madza
Vehicle Model: B4000
chuckhotrod is on a distinguished road
Default 73 mm MAF

Hey guys I been doing some research on using a 73mm MAF. I'm doing a 4.0 OHV with the comp 422 and all the goodies but was wondering if the OE MAS will work on a MAC 73mm MAF. I intend on getting the Quarterhorse software but will it do for the first start up or do I need something more set up for it being larger?
Thanks in advance,
Chuck
chuckhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 01-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
svtcards

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger factory custom
svtcards is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckhotrod View Post
Hey guys I been doing some research on using a 73mm MAF. I'm doing a 4.0 OHV with the comp 422 and all the goodies but was wondering if the OE MAS will work on a MAC 73mm MAF. I intend on getting the Quarterhorse software but will it do for the first start up or do I need something more set up for it being larger?
Thanks in advance,
Chuck
sounds like your doing the same comp cam swap I am.did u get the pushrods u needed yet?what yr ranger u doing it on?
svtcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Thertzler10

Thertzler10 is on a distinguished road

Id like to know about this also. Not going to be running a 422 cam but would like to use this maf. Might just buy and install and see if it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thertzler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
Thertzler10

Thertzler10 is on a distinguished road

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mac-7...lb-9400v6.html

Is this the Mac your talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thertzler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Well the idea is good

The only way to get more power from an engine is to add more air, plain and not so simple, lol.

What you should do is to install a vacuum gauge where you can see it in the cab
temp or permanent

Find a SAFE place where you can get to higher speed and open up to WOT(wide open throttle) for at least a few seconds, like 10 or more
What you want to see is 1.5 to 2" of vacuum in the intake, it means good air flow
Assuming no Boost has been added
Lower means valves are floating so no suction, higher means restricted air flow, could be MAF or throttle body or even air filter
You must have some suction or power is lost as no new fuel can flow into the cylinders

As you add parts to an engine you repeat the test, I think you will find stock MAFs can handle more air flow, and stock injectors as well
"Better in hock than stock", lol, but..........spend the money wisely

MAF only samples about 10% of the air coming in, computer uses that data to tell the WEIGHT of the incoming air, computer already knows the AMOUNT/VOLUME of the air, not too hard to calculate when you knows the displacement of the engine, RPM of engine and throttle position.
Air/fuel ratios are WEIGHT, for gasoline you have 14.7:1 ratio, so 14.7 POUNDS of air to 1 POUND of gasoline
Or 14.7grams of air to 1 gram of gasoline
So the weight of the air is the bigger deal which is why there is a MAF sensor and an air temp sensor(IAT)
Colder air weighs more, at higher altitude air is lighter, so a variable that needs to be addressed and needs to be acurate.
Changing the stock MAF to non-stock MAF requires you to tell computer the WEIGHT calibration for the new sensor

Last edited by RonD; 01-05-2018 at 01:48 PM.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote