Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Styling & Electrical > Lighting/Illumination

Lighting/Illumination This forum is for headlamps, auxillary lighting, interior lighting, and LED conversions.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
egreen

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II 4x4
egreen is on a distinguished road
Default turn signal problem

My 1988 Bronco II has a problem with the turn signals and stop lights. They work fine with the key in the ON position but stop working with the engine on. When the engine starts the ABS light comes on and the signals and brake lights go out. I've changed the flasher and the multi-function switch. I'm running out of ideas. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
egreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 12-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
egreen

One of the connectors for the multi-function switch has been replaced in the past with the wires spliced into. I can't find the connector pinout on any diagrams. If anybody has access to that information I could check that. I would like to rule that out as an error.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
egreen

The connector looks like the attached image. I hope I attached it correctly.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
ericbphoto
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really nice

Here is a link to the diagram in the tech articles on this site. This should be very close to your original wiring. The wire colors appear a bit different than the picture you posted and maybe that is the problem. Someone may have spliced the connector to the original wiring incorrectly. If you can read an ohm meter, you should be able to check the switch and figure out which contacts are made when the switch is in different positions and use that info to verify or correct the splices. Checking for the incoming voltages is a bit trickier since the flashers will not work with the connector disconnected.

When you say that the lights work fine with the key in the "on" position, do you mean "on" in the "ACC" position? or the "RUN" position? It almost sounds like something is connected to the wrong terminal of the key switch.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
egreen

I think I have it fixed. It turns out it was related to the ignition switch. Go figure. I replaced it and now I have my signals back.
For the record, the key was in the run position. The lights worked until the engine was running. It is the same key position but different result with the engine running.
Thanks for the reply Eric.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
ericbphoto
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really nice

cool. Glad you worked it out.