Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Suspension & Armor > Off-Road 4x4 Suspensions

Old 12-05-2017, 04:33 AM   #1
Jim Oaks
Administrator

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone seen a 1998-2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 converted to TTB?

Anyone seen a 1998-2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 converted to TTB?

I'm not crazy about the price of converting a 1998+ truck to a long travel setup, and can't see spending the money for a 4-inch Superlift.

The SAS has been done with coils and leafs, but it would be cool to convert one to TTB. Maybe a Dana 44 TTB.

If I was building a 1990-1997, I'd upgrade the Dana 35 to Dana 44 knuckles and hubs versus swapping in a Dana 44. But if I was completely working from scratch, a Dana 44 TTB would be cool. Especially since most people would just do a Dana 44 SAS.

Just gotta be different

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')
Old 12-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
planeflyer21

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driving, Desert Exploring
planeflyer21 is on a distinguished road

Well, if you have to be different...

I never would have thought about doing a TTB swap on my '99. When entertaining SAS ideas, I've thought of getting Super Duty axles and cutting them down to Ranger width.

If you do the TTB, take lots of pics!
planeflyer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
ericbphoto
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the rough

Not yet.

But if you're gonna do it, I'll be watching.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
1996xlt

Vehicle Year: 2002
I use this vehicle for: Stuff.
1996xlt will become famous soon enough

Jim,

Starting at about page 15 on this thread this Mountaineer owner did it (however PB sucks so all the pics are gone): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...207070/page-15
Old 12-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
Jim Oaks
Administrator

Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996xlt View Post
Jim,

Starting at about page 15 on this thread this Mountaineer owner did it (however PB sucks so all the pics are gone): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...207070/page-15
Thanks. I'll dig in to that. I wonder how close the frame designs are from the cab forward on his 2000 Mountaineer and the 1998+ Ranger?

Old 12-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
fastpakr
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1999
fastpakr has a spectacular aura aboutfastpakr has a spectacular aura aboutfastpakr has a spectacular aura about

Any measurements in particular you want? I should have the '99 Ranger and Explorer side by side with engines out in the next few days.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #7
BlackBII
Ranger Custom

Vehicle Year: 1989
I use this vehicle for: Wasting time
BlackBII has a brilliant futureBlackBII has a brilliant futureBlackBII has a brilliant futureBlackBII has a brilliant futureBlackBII has a brilliant futureBlackBII has a brilliant futureBlackBII has a brilliant futureBlackBII has a brilliant futureBlackBII has a brilliant futureBlackBII has a brilliant futureBlackBII has a brilliant future

Here's some of the relevant pics from that thread

1989 Ranger build - 4.0 swap, 7.5, TTB D35, 4.56s, Lockers, Electric power steering

1976 Fiat 131 build

1990 BII-R.I.P.
BlackBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
ericbphoto
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the rough

In my opinion, that is very well done.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #9
Jim Oaks
Administrator

Damn BlackBII, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpakr View Post
Any measurements in particular you want? I should have the '99 Ranger and Explorer side by side with engines out in the next few days.
If he did it on a Mountaineer, I was wondering how similar it would be on a 1998+ Ranger.

I see Mounty71 used coilovers. I don't want to do that. I want to use coil springs and radius arms to try and keep it looking as close as I can to something the factory would have turned out, but probably use Skyjacker radius arms and 6-inch coils.

If I have to start adding brackets and crossmembers, then I can choose whether I want to do a Dana 44, or Dana 35/44 TTB hybrid.

I'm guessing Mounty71 used the engine crossmember from an earlier Ranger. I wonder how much wider the F-150 engine crossmember is on the 80's TTB trucks?

Autofab offers the TTB mounting brackets to put a Dana 44 TTB in a Ranger:

Quote:
1983-97 Ranger 4x4 to Model 44 pivot brackets

Nicely hand crafted and welded beam pivot brackets for the 1983-97 Ranger 4x4 frame only. We spent many hours working out the location for lift, wheel travel and the best results from our equal length tie rod steering system. Requires some trimming of the inner frame bottom edge to determine the best up travel. The left side or 3rd member side will dictate final wheel travel figures. Front end will be 8 inches wider than stock. Use a F150 rear end to match up to the front, change to 1/2 ton 5 on 5.5 wheel bolt circle with much better brakes, stronger hubs and axles.

Pricing: $600.00
So, I wonder if I could put in a D35 crossmember with the Autofab brackets and use 4-inch bulged fiberglass fenders?

I think I had read 4x4Junkie saying that the D44 beams were 1/8" shorter at the radius arm mount, and would need a washer to shim the Ranger radius arms. I wonder what the difference is between the F-150 and Ranger Skyjacker radius arms?

I would have to add coil buckets. I feel like the f-150 frame would be wider, and therefore space the coil buckets out farther than they are on a Ranger.

And finally, I'd have to add an earlier Ford Ranger steering box.

The end goal would be a 2001-2011 4-door Ranger with a TTB front, 1/2 ton hubs, and 35-inch BFG's.