Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Ranger Axles

Ranger Axles Dana 28, Dana 35, Ford 7.5 & Ford 8.8

Old 12-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #11
gw33gp

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger FX4
I use this vehicle for: Daily driver, towing & off-road
gw33gp will become famous soon enough

Traction Control took over the need for LSD around 2010. I don't know if it works as well but it should. I don't know if they work well together but it seems like they would.
2002 FX4 - 4.0 SOHC, 5 spd manual transmission & transfer case, 32" ProComp MTs, K&N air filter, Modified air box inlet, Gibson SS cat. back exhaust, Bama flash, Hidden Hitch round receiver, Rear helper air springs, electric trailer brake controller, Line-X bed liner, WAAG bar with KC lights and Wildernest shell.
gw33gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')
Old 12-02-2017, 03:10 AM   #12
sgtsandman

sgtsandman is on a distinguished road

The only model I know for sure that had a limited slip as stock was the FX4 Level II.

All the limited slip differentials Iíve looked at said they were compatible with traction control.

Traction control does act like a limited slip but there are some instances where it hurts more than it helps and needs to be turned off in order to get out of whatever you are stuck in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sgtsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
don4331

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Ranger
don4331 is a jewel in the roughdon4331 is a jewel in the roughdon4331 is a jewel in the rough

Did Ford actually put 'real' traction control in the Rangers? I thought part of the reason for discontinuance was they were going to have to spend serious money on traction/stability control to meet the '12 regulations. And mediocre sales/the 'crunch' the auto industry went through in that period had Ranger as odd man out.

The really good traction controls, e.g. BMWs, make open differentials feel like a pair of lockers. On other hand, Ford puts electric lockers in F-150s...

If I was having to replace the carrier for an LSD one, I think I would be upgrading to 31 spline axles at same time - In for penny, in for pound. (But I would be more likely to swap entire axles.)
don4331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:36 AM   #14
sgtsandman

Default Open Rear Diff

All I can tell you is Ford says itís traction control.

There is an over ride button and it gets over ridden when selecting 4 Low.

When the rear end skips from axle hop, you can hear the brakes cycling and a dash light blinks while itís operating.

Last edited by sgtsandman; 12-03-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
gw33gp

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: Ranger FX4
I use this vehicle for: Daily driver, towing & off-road
gw33gp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsandman View Post
The only model I know for sure that had a limited slip as stock was the FX4 Level II.

I am pretty sure it was standard (stock) for the 4WD STX to have limited slip in the rear. I know it was in 89. I'm not sure about the other model years.
2002 FX4 - 4.0 SOHC, 5 spd manual transmission & transfer case, 32" ProComp MTs, K&N air filter, Modified air box inlet, Gibson SS cat. back exhaust, Bama flash, Hidden Hitch round receiver, Rear helper air springs, electric trailer brake controller, Line-X bed liner, WAAG bar with KC lights and Wildernest shell.
gw33gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #16
sgtsandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw33gp View Post
I am pretty sure it was standard (stock) for the 4WD STX to have limited slip in the rear. I know it was in 89. I'm not sure about the other model years.

Good to know. Thanks!