Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Suspension & Armor > Fabrication

Fabrication Bumpers, sliders, cages, flatbeds, tube work, etc.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
91stranger

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER EXT CAB 3.0
I use this vehicle for: daily driving
91stranger is on a distinguished road
Default bull guard install

So I found a steel bull guard at my scrap yard and picked it up for $2-3. It is not made for a ranger and I cannot tell what it was made for. Looks like I need to make some sort of bracket off the frame to get this to mount. Anyone ever do this before? if so have any suggestions? my truck is a 99 xlt, 3.0 liter, auto trans, 2wd if any of that makes a difference. Just couldn't pass up the deal and would like to paint it and make it work for my truck. You can take a deer all year with a truck as long as you call it in and have a state trooper tag it for you. Extra meat in the freezer is always nice. Would like to save my truck a little with the heavy duty bull guard.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
ericbphoto
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the rough

You're probably just going to have to take some measurements, buy some steel and start cutting and welding.

Then, make sure you hit the deer square in the middle.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Dangerrangers

Vehicle Year: 94 and 04
Vehicle Model: Rangers 4/4s 4.0s
I use this vehicle for: DD/Wheeling
My credo: Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
Dangerrangers is on a distinguished road

It's not rocket science . Get out torch and welder and figure it out , no one can figure it out for you without all the dimensions.
Low budget wheeler build . 4.0 / 5 speed , cam , headers , lockers
Dangerrangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
91stranger

Well I don't have a welder or a torch big enough to do anything serious. all my work would have to be bolt on. also it is hard to hold a steel bumper in place where I want it and then get underneath to see what I need to do. That's why I'm just asking around to see what people have done or mods that make them better. Thanks for the help I guess? I will figure it out like I normally do.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
ericbphoto
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the rough

It's difficult to give more exact answers since you don't know anything about the bull bar you bought. The price you paid his great. So it shouldn't cost you too much to play around with it.

A couple of tall jack stands and some rope or clamps should be enough to hold it roughly in place while you measure and contemplate how to fasten it on. If you can make some accurate cardboard templates, a local fab shop or friend might be able to make some brackets for you. Your creativity is your best tool.

Eric B
Old 11-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
91stranger

yeah I'm just gonna wing it and start bolting stuff together. i'd like to make it fairly easy to remove if needed. or make it drop down a quarter turn and put a pin in place and use it like a stand for working on the motor. kinda like the rear cargo carriers how the fold up and down. That's the idea I got in my head and I think it would be a cool mod.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
91stranger

Well with the little help I got from the site I was able to get it put on myself. What do you think?
Attached Images