Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > 4-bangers > 4-Cylinder (2000 & Older)

Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
pedal2themetal45

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
pedal2themetal45 is on a distinguished road
Default Electrict problem

HI All.
Been running fine for a year or so.. then today it just quit, It turns over fine just won't start .. Pleanty of gas and now the brake is making the turn signal lights on the dash come on (both sides). I'm thinking the turn switch or Ign switch..Tho it has been replaced with in the last year.
84 Ranger 2.3
thanks
tim
pedal2themetal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #2
ericbphoto
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you have a loose ground connection somewhere.

Eric B
Old 11-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
tomw

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: for everything
My credo: vertical and above ground
tomw has a spectacular aura abouttomw has a spectacular aura abouttomw has a spectacular aura about

The two ways you could get the cluster indicators to light are 1) broken multi-function switch in the steering column and 2)the 4-way flasher switch. OR, you could be 'back feeding' the indicators through one of the bulbs(both?). A bad ground could also cause back feed problems, as noted above.
I would check the 4-way flasher switch, take it out of the circuit as it 'over rides' everything when it is engaged, more or less. Then check to see what is flashing besides the ts indicators when you step on the brake pedal.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
pedal2themetal45

Hi Thanks Guy's.
I'm thinking the multi switch.. and the 4 way.. as i hadn't used the 4 way. when it started to quit and then stalled. I was on the freeway. but I did pull the 4 way on when I pulled to the side and nothing worked excepted both dash light cam on when I pressed the brake and even turning the 4 way off the brake still lights them up. and no signal works.
So does that sound like the problem? the 4 way for the brake lights lighting up the dash signal lights and the multi switch for the no start? Never tried the 4 way before so I don't know how long it may have been broken and wasn't causing a problem until I tried to use it..
Its not at home its in a parking lot.. I'm going to jumper the coil and see if I can get it home under its own power today (this morning).

Thanks
tim
Old 11-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
Mark_88

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Dordge
Vehicle Model: Care A Van
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
My credo: Love Thy Neighbor
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

If the engine is turning over but not starting it could be the timing belt is broken.

There are a few things you can do to test that...one is to remove the distributor cap and crank the engine...the distributor will not turn if the belt is broken.

If the belt cover is off the engine it is much easier to see if the cam gear is turning but you can also see it from the driver seat by peering under the hood...if you put a dab or two of something like paint, nail polish, whiteout on the backside of the cam gear you can see it turning when you crank the engine. If it is not turning then you can be pretty certain the belt is broken.

If that is he main problem with driving the vehicle then address that first...the signal light flashing when you touch the brake pedal could be as stated by the others...but that isn't going to get your engine running if the timing belt is broken.

Belts are actually easy to replace even if you've never done it before. There are a few posts on that here and I've seen videos on YouTube...
1996 Ranger 2.5 (gone)

On-line manual link
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...94#post1581294

Last edited by Mark_88; 11-10-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
pedal2themetal45

Thanks everyone. My gas gauge doesn't work.. but in my defence I had just gased it up and only had 63 miles on the tank. but I got jacked.. it was out of gas. Put some fuel in it and it started to run.. I did notice that when I found that I had spark and I looked at the fuel filler tube the little flap for Unleaded was all screwed up.. and it was not that way when I gased up. So I guess its time to invest on a locking cap.
Oh the electrict problem was the 4 way .. the flasher was out on it and I could n't tell if it was off or on.. all works good now..
Thanks again all
tim
Old 11-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #7
Doofy
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1998
I use this vehicle for: retirement rig
Doofy will become famous soon enough

Don'tcha just love thieves? Hands should be removed when caught.

Thanks for posting the "fixes".
Doofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
ericbphoto
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the roughericbphoto is a jewel in the rough

Glad you figured it out.

Eric B